California law would require cars to warn drivers if speeding

More and likely from GPS. Many towns have laws that state speed limit is such-and-such unless posted otherwise. My town’s speed limit is 30mph. Some roads have 40.

The interstates were built according to federal specifications which had requirements for increased line of sight for curves, hills, etc. limited access can be a feature of regular highways or not. I think different parts of the country call them different names. Like coke/soda, sneakers/tennis shoes, etc.

2 Likes

california actually has cops pulling people over for speeding. where i live practically everyone is speeding and i dont ever see cops pulling people over.

It’s because in America, the speed limit “limits” you from driving any slower than the number on the sign.

And if you pass a speed limit sigh that shows your speed, and flashes if over it, High Score Wins!!! Woo-Hoo!! :grin: :metal:

:rofl:

1 Like

Every evening on the way home from work, I spend about an hour to travel 20 miles on a stretch of freeway that has a speed limit of 60mph. In practice, it’s not a limit, it’s a goal!

But the Rock Creek and Sligo Creek parkways have cross streets.

It seems that I am a fairly consistent winner in a town near me. They have one of those “Your Speed Is” signs in a 45 mph zone. On a regular basis, while driving 47-49 mph past that sign, it informs me that my speed is 188 mph.

I use those to check the accuracy of my speedometer. The colored flashing lights though are pretty. Beats having that spotlight shining in your eyes.

My speedometer reads 1mph over at 30mph, and 1-2mph over at 60. Better safe than going too fast.

Senior joke:

Police officer scans his radar and finds a car doing 22 MPH over the speed limit, and pulls them over. When he get to the car he is surprised to see it is a group of four very senior guys, maybe the youngest is 90…

To the driver he asks: “Do you know the speed limit along here?”
Driver: “Sure officer, it’s right there on the sign: 57.”
Officer: “Uh…no that is the route number, not the speed limit. Here it is 35 mph.”

As he is writing up the ticket he glances around at the other passengers, and they all seem agitated and nervous. Being a bit suspicious now, he asks them “You fellows all OK in there?” And one pipes up: “Well we are now, but we had just come off from Route 109…”

4 Likes

The next time I’m driving to Connecticut and see a vehicle going 1mph over the speed limit, I’m going to pull up alongside it and shout “ Bigup Chris “ :sunglasses:

I guess that is supposed to be funny but I fail to see the humor.

Yeah I heard that one but there were four elderly nuns in the car.

I’m trying to remember the one about some ladies beating the guy senseless with their purses. All I remember was a guy calling in to a radio station giving a blow by blow account and laughing hilariously through the whole thing. Never figured out if it was real or not but a classic.

More than likely, it won’t be Chris. He has told us on several occasions that he likes to drive below the speed limit. He’s probably driving at 31 mph in a 35 mph zone, and at 61-62 mph in a 65 mph zone.

1 Like

That’s too funny… lol

I did pass our local park (on the main road) the other day and noticed that they had put one on the park road were the limit is like 5-10 mph, well the roads run close together (maybe 150 yards over) and noticed the sign had picked me up instead and it looked like that car was doing 37 MPH…

I am pretty sure that most speedometers are 1-2 MPH over what the vehicle shows while at speed, I have indeed tested this on many different year, make and model vehicles against the road sign radars… I have also looked at live data from each abs sensor as well as VSS MPH’s and they all showed the correct speed and 1-2 MPH under what the speedo showed…
I have NO prof, but I think this is by design to slow people down just a hair…

BTW, every pursuit vehicle has always had certified speedometer on the instrument cluster somewhere that I have seen…

1 Like

Remember the old ramblers used to have police certified on them. I asked my dad what that meant. Come to find out they were no more accurate than any other car. Just made people feel good.

lol… back in the day probably not, but I was referring to modern (crown vics and up) police pursuit vehicles…

Because, unlike the rest of you, I understand the correct definition of the word Limit.

Your sentence structure above just confirmed my theory: That in America, posted speed limit is considered the slowest that people should drive.

And most highway on-rampers, in the latter example, are thankful that I’m not bearing down on them, at 60mph in a 55 zone, as they attempt to merge.