California law would require cars to warn drivers if speeding

But it makes you ALIVE.

2 Likes

Or, as the old saying “he was in the right, dead right”.

1 Like

As this conversation played-out in heaven

Saint Peter, how could I have died?
I was driving below the speed limit, so surely I was much safer than 80% of motorists who were driving at the prevailing speed on that expressway.

Or, not

:thinking:

Bunch of fear-mongering bullsđŸ’©â€Š

Give up Cris, plus your attitude will keep people from even considering your view.

2 Likes

So that it has adequate power to maneuver at the highway speed limit. This means that it can exceed the speed limit by a lot. What people do with that capability is up to them. Responsible adults accept the consequences of exceeding the speed limit.

1 Like

Your’s, and others, minds were already closed to it before I brought it up here. It shows, in the record of your responses, in this thread and in others.

And there is the crux of it. Just because my car has 360hp. doesn’t mean I need to use it all the time. But in some situations is sure is nice to know its there when/if I need it.

3 Likes

Like yours wasn’t??

What are you talking about?

Of course my mind is open to the idea driving at or slightly below posted.

My mind is closed only to the ideal that the speed limit, to many - in here as well as out there - is a minimum number.

and yet, you continue to harp on this theme.

3 Likes

Common experience for me: driving on a freeway, 70 mph speed limit, 90%+ of drivers going between 70 and 75, with very little passing going on. Up comes a driver doing 65 - which car is most likely to cause a problem/accident?

Being the major source of speed difference means it’s the 65 mph driver, not everyone else.

2 Likes

And that’s why this is such a marvelous place to live!

Isn’t there a good chance that the clump is caused by someone driving 55mph while the prevailing speed is 65?

3 Likes

Great analogy!

When traveling downstream, be the cork not the rock

:grinning:

But my car only has the binary gas pedal option. So I use the PWM method :wink:

1 Like

You have thee most closed mind here. You will NOT drive above the speed-limit no matter what. Even if it’s the safest thing to do. Have you ever driven on a highway in a highly populate city before?

1 Like

Already receive speed warnings - from wife.
RX350 Speed Limit sign icon turns red if 1-mph over speed limit. From GPS location?

1 Like

That was more of a sarcastic rhetorical question
 lol

But I would imagine that it is more about gearing, engine RPM, engine longevity and fuel economy
 meaning I can gear a 1000 HP vehicle to only be able to go 80 MPH, and it would have stupidly adequate power to maneuver at highway speeds, but the engine would be running close to redline RPMS all the time causing wear and very poor fuel mileage vs 30-40% of redline getting way better MPG etc etc

My hot rod with the old 2.45:1 rear gear could go 60MPH in 1st gear, 120 in 2nd and well 3rd I never found out
 Now with the 3.91:1 I can only go 40 in 1st, 80 in 2nd and still don’t know about 3rd as I am normally hitting the brakes by then
 Now I can accelerate WAY faster at every speed, now just think with a 5.91:1 rear gear I would redline at 80MPH and have even better acceleration at any speed but I would be turning 5500 RPMS doing the posted 70 MPH speed limit

So in order to get the best fuel economy, engines that will go the distance over time and reduced engine noise as well as other things, they have to be able to go much higher MPH then will probably ever be needed or required

Now clearly that is my point of view on it and may or may not be correct

Do you folks recall Tom M’s speed-limit dispute w/the entire state of Montana ? 
 lol 

No I don’t know Tom’s dispute, but in the pre double nickel days I crossed much of Montana over 90MPH, a 396 Chevy passed me, so I thought I would just keep up with him. When we hit triple digits, I said to myself, “self, this is too fast”, slowed back down to 90.

1 Like

Actually I prefer to relax a little on the interstate. When driving 80 in South Dakota, I actually tended to slow a little. Just had to stay too alert at 80. 75 felt more comfortable.

2 Likes