Calif politico's now want all new cars be speed-governed

It would require any new car or truck made or sold in the state in 2027 or later to have special technology installed in the car called “speed governors.”

The device would make it physically impossible for vehicles to go 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limits.

Maybe they should put limiters on their spending first.

7 Likes

lol … reminds me of a recent news story. The state’s economic expert says the budget is out of balance by twice as much as the gov’r claims. Nobody seems to be able to explain how the two estimates could differ that much … lol … . maybe gov’r is optimist, expert is pessimist !!

1 Like

Elections have consequences. When are you folks going to get a backbone?.

5 Likes

The problem w/that theory, the candidate from theother party doesn’t seem to be any better.

Recent news interview or debate

Reporter: How would you fix the state’s homelessness problem?
Candidate: I’d do a financial audit.

2 Likes

Good news! Suddenly, used cars will become so valuable that people will choose to repair, rather than buy new. Once this nonsense goes into effect, even very expensive repairs such as a replacement engine or transmission will start to make sense.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea. I’d build a provision into the bill mandating draconian punishment for anyone defeating the technology.

5 Likes

Oh yes yes please yes.
I am absolutely fed up to the gills with these impatient speed demons.
There is No Hurry. Figure it out fruitcakes.

2 Likes

Sounds a lot like Cuba. They’ve been doin* that for decades. Of course then they just outlaw old vehicles like they did to the semi trucks.

1 Like

Such a coded trope. And meaningless. Do your politics elsewhere.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s bad news for you. Now you will have a dwindling supply of used cars, driving up your cost to buy them.

1 Like

So another law to inconvience all to address problems with a few.

Let’s see how this will work…

The car must use GPS to locate itself so it can set the limit. Ignoring the accuracy of GPS and speed limit information…
If the satellites are obscured, there is no signal so to keep the car operating it must suspend the limit or the car will stop. Same issue if the satellite network goes down for any reason.

Seem like a judicious application of aluminum foil would defeat the limit. Or disconnecting the antenna. So hoons can still speed.

Much like the 85 mph speedos and 55 mph limit, this won’t solve the promlem, The scofflaws will find away around it.

4 Likes

So what happens to the drivers that like to take their vehicles to the track for some legal and safe racing, but otherwise drive the speed limit???

1 Like

It’s easy to use GPS to differentiate a track from the highway.

3 Likes

That assumes they allow for that.

Locals around Laguna Seca Raceway would not want to allow that. They are actively lobbying the county to revoke the track’s lease since it was built on county land. These are locals that moved in next to a racetrack that now want it closed.

3 Likes

I have seen that over the years moving in after the fact knowing that the track airport military base farm or whatever then want it shut down I never could understand people like that.

Around here we lost a drag strip because of those kind of people.
4 Likes

Not necessary to teach a car to read signs. If 3.6 liter engines were the biggest ones used for anything weighing 3,000 pounds or more, the trip would be done by the time the car hits 70 MPH.
You know I’m joking because a 2.7 engine in a RAV4 can really fly.
Is it really Ca. that wants to do it, or is it the other states that want Ca. drivers to take their time getting there? They have to be getting tired of Californians telling them that they sold their house for 1.3 million to buy a bigger house for 220 thousand in their backward state.

Yeah we discussed this a few times on here at least, tracks all over the country are being shut down cause of these people, tracks been there since the 50-60-70’s and now that some greedy idiot builder, builds a new subdivision and the new people moving in want it closed down… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Yeah that happened around Brandon South Dakota. I think they managed to get it re-opened again though. Used to be farm and junk yard country in the 70s but now a full fledged suburb.