California law would require cars to warn drivers if speeding

Just another “feature” that adds cost at almost no value. I believe almost every driver is aware they are speeding. They don’t need the car to tell them.

Just watched a car doing 40-50mph through a school zone with flashing lights indicating speed limit is 20mph. As soon as they saw the cruiser off to the side, they slammed on the brakes. There are habitual offenders if you pay attention. BTW- cop didn’t even flinch…he was watching from the other direction. The one where you can see him parked there for 1/2 mile…

2 Likes

My speed warning is difficult to disable. I can’t bring myself to tell the GF to get out when we’re still 10 miles from home.

8 Likes

Perhaps you should drive faster? Where I live I’ve seen the state patrol flash the lights and sirens to direct a driver to speed up if they are not keeping up with the flow of traffic.

No. The car sees the yellow and white lines, the car knows how fast it’s going, the car knows if you’re turning the steering wheel to change lanes or exit the freeway, seems simple enough to have the car activate the turn signal at the same time.

It’s very obvious I need to drive faster to keep up with traffic on Taconic pky. I’m being extra cautious now because of the school bus situation which comes with a 5 points on my license. The last thing I would want right now is being caught speeding.

Since this topic has been brought up, I went into my car settings and activated the warning feature for exceeding the speed limit.

Nobody obeys the speed limit in NY. Not even the cops. But wheb the cops need to meet their quota for the month they’ll target anyone like a hungry alligator.

I said it before and I’ll say it again:

In America, speed “limit” = MINIMUM speed one must travel to avoid being tailgated or run completely off the road or highway.

That parkway has crossroads, I’m not going to drive 75 mph on a parkway.

At least half a dozen people recommended to hire a lawyer, what happened?

Yes, I hired on lawyer. Court date will be within 2 months from now.

I recall now that one of my teenage friends drove a car with a max speed alarm setting. It was actually his parents car, which he shared, and he used to set the alarm at 35 mph whenever he was done using the car, just to annoy his parents next time they drove it … lol …

Another interesting tidbit about that car, it had an early-design 4 wheel disc brake configuration, worked great when dry, but which would barely stop the car if they were wet.

My car comes default at 75mph. But I adjusted it today at 70mph. I do agree it’s a pointless feature and it’s pretty annoying.

I believe Lexus IS models had that feature since 2006, you can set an alert on the tachometer and the speedometer, but these are manual settings.

2019 Lexus ES models (starting 2021 for IS 300) were available with Road Sign Assist that can read traffic signs, display the speed limit and give warning if exceeding the limit.

Was looking for this but didn’t find it on my car. The rav4 has it though.

I don’t think that is a universal definition. The example that comes to mind is NJ’s Garden State Parkway, a limited access toll road with no intersections or crossroads. On the stretch that lies South of the Raritan River, 75 mph seems to be the prevailing speed… except when summertime beach-bound traffic slows things down to a crawl.

1 Like

+1

The Baltimore-Washington Parkway extends from MD175 to US50, just south of the DC beltway and is a limited access road. It is called a parkway because the National Park Service maintains it.

2 Likes

Agreed. One look at the Taconic Parkway in googlemaps- it looks more like an expressway…

Cumberland Parkway is a 88.4-mile freeway in Kentucky, extending from Barren County to Somerset, I have driven it at night (years ago)and not see another car for 70+ miles, there are NO cross streets other than over/under passes period, but there are on/off ramps going to the city’s it passes through… My buddy got his 1st speeding ticket in my car doing 97 in a 65 close to one of those city’s… lol… You can still drive it for many miles without seeing another vehicle anytime day or night…
I have been much faster on it, there are miles and miles of nothing, no sign of live other than trees and grass…

Ah, yet we drive on parkways and park on driveways.

4 Likes

It is an expressway albeit a horrific one. Lots of curves, inadequate acceleration and deceleration lanes, and other deficiencies.

I haven’t driven on that road for probably 30 years or so, but it definitely wasn’t like that when I rode on it.

That is my recollection of what it was like 30 years ago. It’s sad to hear that it hasn’t really been improved very much… similar to the Belt Parkway. That is a road that I really dread having to drive on.

The Belt is a pleasure compared to the Taconic.

OMG!
I will make it a point to avoid the Taconic. Unfortunately, I can’t avoid the sub-standard Belt when I have to take friends to and from JFK Airport.
:unamused: