Bumper Sticker Removal?

Back in the '80s, I worked with a guy who had bumper stickers printed-up with the following message:
Dear God, Please bring back Harry Truman

I wish that I had bought a few.

I agree with others that thereā€™s no guarantee it will come off cleanly. But I too have had best results using a hair dryer.

@VDCdriver. To keep this car related, Harry Truman preferred and owned Chrysler products. I have no idea what his Presidential challenger, Tom Dewey drove.

1 Like

Yes, and because of that, I can highly recommend the following book:
Harry Trumanā€™s Excellent Adventure, by Matthew Algeo

@VDCdriver. I read the book. When I think about cars that Presidents owned, Jimmy Carter once said his favourite car was his 1947 Studebaker. I saw a recent picture of Carter driving up to a Habitat For Humanity job site in a Ford F150 pickup. I
Obama drove a Ford Escape Hybrid before he was elected President.

That was one of this cars. He also owned and drove a Chrysler 300.

Like I said, I think bumper stickers should be avoided. Along with all my model cars, planes, and ships, Iā€™m sure my mom threw out my old Nixon/Kennedy bumper stickers and an ā€œI like Ikeā€ button or two. The stuff would be worth some money today maybe. There seems to be an uptick in collectors paying high prices for baseball cards and other collectible items as they sit at home with nothing to do.

@bing. My brother still has the model cars he collected through the 1950s. The earliest model is a 1950 Plymouth Suburban station wagon. I canā€™t remember all the cars in the collection, but he has at least 25. These were all models he bought from elementary school through his junior high school days.
I still have a big Kennedy For President button that I got in 1960. I had an old rocking chair in my dorm room that was like the Kennedy rocker. I pinned the Kennedy button to the back rest. I spent hours in that chair studying

Yeah. 40 Ford, 61 Ford, 61 Merc, 58 Edsel, 59 Merc, 60 Ford, 61 Chev, geez canā€™t remember them all. I had a Fink figure and a Marine too along with the ship and the jet fighter on my $5 TV set that my dad went through &**% to get for me. (OT: It was at the Montgomery Wards Washingtonā€™s Birthday sale advertised for $5. It was like a mob when the doors opened but he fought his way to the appliance section and retrieved it ahead of the mob. Blood, sweat, scars, fighting screaming housewives all the way. I was forever grateful.)

1 Like

Five dollars for a working television was a great bargain. I paid $25 for a used television back in 1963. I was a graduate student and one of my professors had separated from his wife. The set was a 14" portable. The sound would cut in and out, and the professorā€™s ex-wife was pressing him for a new set. He had tried to have it repaired, but the shop couldnā€™t find the problem. I bought it to see if I could fix it. I found a cold solder joint on one of the lugs on the volume control. I think it took me less than 10 minutes. I rarely watched the set until I was out of school.
Sometime in the 1980s, our church sponsored a refugee family from Vietnam. It was determined that the family should have a television set to help them learn English. Three non-working portable televisions were donated and wound up at my house. I swapped parts around and had one set that would work if it had a new horizontal sweep tube. I went to Radio Shack and that tube was $15. I had been at K-Mart the evening before and the store announced a Blue Light Special for a new portable for $50. I decided that I wasnā€™t going to pay $15 for the Radio Shack tube. I called Goodwill industries and explained my situation. The TV man wasnā€™t about to part with a tube. He did trade the three working portable sets for a working Dumont console. It took two of us to get it up to the 2nd floor apartment where the family resided. Today, Goodwill wonā€™t even take television sets in my community.
Your dad got a real bargain at Montgomery Ward.

What Goodwill will and wonā€™t take is largely a matter of which store you go to. Non in my area will take TVs, either. The closest one to me wonā€™t take any upholstered furniture, but the one across the river does. The donations they accept must depend on the clientele at the store in front. The stores are probably about 5 miles apart, BTW.

The new owner attempted to sell it on Ebay with a million dollar minimum bid, didnā€™t get even one bid. The blurry photocopy of the title was all the proof offered.

Yeah would have been probably 1961, but it was a leader item to get the mob in the store. I did make a few trips on my bike down to Rexall drug for tube testing, but it never was much good as a TV. Still I got to watch Twilight Zone and Charlie Chan in my room. When I was a freshman three of us chipped in $25 to buy a TV and the last man standing got it after four years. Seems to me Iā€™m the one that ended up with it but canā€™t for the life of me remember what I did with it. Now all the TVs are digital flat screen and nothing else works. The last TV I took to the dump cost me $25 to get rid of it.

1 Like

Phew. For a moment, I thought some real fool actually paid a million bucks for that heap, just because the former President owned it. Even though other presidential vehicles with much more historic significance have sold for far less.

The listing tried to justify the price by listing a bunch of celebrity cars that sold for big money, all charity auctions.

I have no doubt that could happen, but only if it was tied to a political contribution, or there was another ulterior motive besides perceived value. Rick Hendrick pays way too much for automobiles auctioned by Chevrolet for charity. Itā€™s pretty clear why he does that, though.

Hendrick buys car#1 at these auctions regardless of brand, he has more than just Chevy dealers.

And he overpays IMO to support the factory with their charity. No matter how much anyone else bids, he bids higher. I have no problem with it, he can afford it.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. The prices Hendrick pays arenā€™t used as comparative values to anything else, either, since the values are over-inflated.

If heā€™s cool with it, so am I. Goes to a good cause.

1 Like

My understanding is that everything over MSRP is a tax write-off.