Bumper Sticker Removal?

Anything over fair market value would be deductible. It might be MSRP, or it might be more. I’m sure his tax accountant knows, though. I’m also sure his deductions are more than the $24,400 standard deduction for 2019. And he gets to use them, unlike almost all of the rest of us. It’s good to be rich, ain’t it?

Our first TV was probably in 1958. I was a helper on a delivery truck and we delivered TV among other things. I got $1.25 an hour and no benefits and in the winter only got 25 to 30 hours a week. I had a wife and child and could not afford a TV. We delivered a TV to a house and their old TV was on. It had white lines through the black and white picture and the pic would flip every few seconds. It was a Dumont console and the owner asked if we would take iy away. I asked my boss for it and we took it to my house. It had 23 tubes in it and on Sat. I walked the 4 miles to Olsen’s electronics ( if you can’t afford a tv. you surely can’t afford a car.) and tested them all. 4 tested bad and 6 tested marginal and the 10 tubes cost me $8.53 . That was replaced after a few years by a Philco. It had what looked like a large wax donut with wires in it around the skinny part of the picture tube. The wax ring was cracked and shooting blue rays out the back. A roll of friction tape stopped that.

2 Likes

I remember making $1.15 an hour but didn’t have a wife and kid to support. Can’t imagine that struggle. We had an Olsen’s electronics 10 miles away, spent many hours pouring over their junk piles looking for bits and pieces to make things.

Cracked potting on deflection yoke and stopped corona with tape. :grinning: That fits right in with stories I have. One example we put an incandescent lamp in to stop a mysterious short that was killing tubes. They were expensive! The short was intermittent. When it happened, the lamp would light until it subsided and evrything was back to normal.

Not only have I never had an emotional attachment to a bumper sticker I would whack anyone with a 2X4 that put one on my car.

@p3gk33f3 — How about telling people what this precious Bumper Sticker is ?

5 Likes

I put the odds of doing this at about 0%, unless this bumper sticker was specially made to be reusable. Hard enough to remove one in one piece, but I think it’s practically impossible to remove it and stick it on another bumper, and have it stay there. Best I can see happening is removing it and framing it.

if that sticker is so important, the advise may be to cut it out with a piece of bumper, it will be both not damaged and reusable for the framing purposes…
It will be only a few hundred bucks to get a replacement bumper cover :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a crossed bandaid sticker. Lots of versions out there. Here’s one the same- https://www.ebay.com/itm/222708837411

Didn’t mean to reply to thegreendrag0n, must’ve been hovering over your reply on the image…

I thought that was a joke post, not from the OP.

4 Likes

OK, I see. My mistake. Carry on…

I would still love to know what type of bumper stick is so… precious… that it causes a person to hold onto their existing car, despite the fact that they were seeking a new vehicle.

4 Likes

What difference does it make? Obviously, the chances of you finding it equally valuable or interesting are slim to none. Who cares why it is important to this person?

I wouldn’t put a bumper sticker on my car and never have. I did have some window film caricatures bought on a vacation trip once that brought back fond memories and I made the effort to transfer them to a new car when the time came. I just junked that car with the stickers on it. Times change and so does what we value…

I worry that any “opinion” on a sticker will offend someone, somewhere. Even something as innocuous as: “My honors student graduated…” People with stupid kids might take a 2x4 or a boot to my (plastic) bumper!

On the rare times I had to display something (to show I was on “Official Business,” for example) I used cardboard-mounted signs inside front and rear windows. Use blue painter’s tape, and no gumminess on the glass.

Sorry, but “collectible” bumper stickers don’t belong on the front or rear of a vehicle, but in a nice binder between archival polyethylene sheets. Bet you can find a replacement on eBay or elsewhere on internet. Good luck.

But you did not wear that button on your everyday clothes, 24/7.

Point is, if something is valuable, protect it , otherwise just “let it go…”

Take a good photo of the bumper sticker and have a new one made to put on whatever replacement car you get.

1 Like

I saw a bumper sticker that said “My kid can beat up your honor student”.

2 Likes

I’ve seen bumper stickers that say “My dog is smarter than your honor roll student” :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Well, to be fair, even an average mutt is smarter than most politicians, so it’s not hard to believe that a smart dog could be smarter than some peoples’ kids.

1 Like

It’s going to depend on what the bumper sticker is made out of.

Awhile back I recall a guy restoring an antique car who didn’t want to lose the dealer sticker (the dealer no longer existed). He was able to get the sticker photographed and reproduced as a new sticker and it looked good (if dealer stickers can look good). They made some extra replacement stickers for him while they were at it.