Bugatti Tourbillon

Bugatti announced the Tourbillon, an 1800 hp PHEV hybrid. It replaces the Chiron. It’s actually built by Bugatti Rimac. The company was formed when VW spun off Bugatti and then merged with Rimac. Rimac builds the Nevera BEV supercar. Better move fast. Bugatti Rimac will only build 250 Tourbillon and at about $4 million a pop, they’ll go fast. Seems odd to write that, but I think they will sell fast. $4 million just isn’t what it used to be. :smile:

2 Likes

I looked at the pictures of this thing. Just does not appeal to me at all . The rear is OK but the front and side are not to me.

Bugatti was formerly the toy store of Ferdinand Piech, Dr. Porsche’s grandson. He acquired the Bugatti name when he was CEO of Volkswagen Audi Group. It built his 1000+ hp toys. I am sure the engineers had a blast working on the programs. Likely made money for VAG and it was a good decision to sell it to Rimac now that Ferdinand has passed.

But I am bored with hypercars. HUGE power, eye watering speeds only attainable on two or 3 test tracks in the world bought by owners who will NEVER drive them as they were designed. Expensive and valuable dust collectors!

1 Like

Just like the watches it was named after. This is the craziest one I found, for about a $million:

1 Like

It’s really not that different from uber-wealthy folks who buy expensive visual art pieces, and hide them away–far from public view. They have the wealth to do it, and whether they are hoarding their pricey goods, or are planning on reselling them for a sizeable profit, it’s something that the extremely wealthy are known to do.

The #1 art collectors in this category are the Nahmad brothers. Here is what one site has to say about them and their art-buying:

The Nahmad brothers own the most valuable art collection in the world, yet, ironically, are not art lovers themselves. The Nahmads are businessmen through and through and the name of their game has a singular goal – selling for a profit.

With backgrounds in investment banking and blackjack, it’s no wonder that the Nahmads treat art collecting like not much more than a dollar transaction with the thrill of gambling.

How do they do it? Well, they buy expensive pieces, store it for a while, then re-sell it for maximum earnings. Meanwhile, their storage unit is near the Geneva Airport meaning it’s tax-free. Seems they’ve thought of everything to get the most bang for their buck.

In their warehouse, you’d find up to 5,000 works of art at any given time, 300 of which are rumored to be $900 million worth of Picassos.

After all, the Nahmads believe that business is business and artists like Picasso and Monet are brands, just like Pepsi and Apple. Overall, it’s safe to say that these [collectors] are not the art world’s favorite pair.

1 Like

Found a Chiron themed watch for a little over $400,000

There are uber-wealthy folks who appreciate fine art, display it in their homes but not publicly. Just because they don’t share it doesn’t mean it isn’t appreciated as art is to be appreciated. Art can be a personal thing or a group thing but it is being appreciated as it was designed to be… If that makes sense.

The hypercar owners may appreciate the car as art, but never drive it so it isn’t appreciated as a an artifact designed to be an automobile. At least fancy watches, or as I call them, man-jewelry, are appreciated as timepieces and art. Wearing one set to the correct time is its intended function.

Both cars and watches can be used as investment properties as well. The Saudi Sheik who sold a McLaren F1 with 240 miles on it after 30 years is a great example. Buy and hold, don’t drive it. Waste of a fine car.

As far as art speculators… I find that to be a bit sad because no one gets to appreciate it as art, just as an investment. And that is not what it was created for.

1 Like

I won’t buy a watch without a turbocharger. What the world really needs is a solar powered wind chime. The last time we heard the wind chime was during hurricane Sandy (windy).

The instrument cluster is something to behold.

1 Like

For that money, everything should be beautiful. Even at a mere $350,000 and up Rolls Royce cars are gorgeous in every way.

4 Likes

There’s something to say about a neighbor that hoards cars but never uses them :slight_smile: A neighbor of mine built the garagemahal, then got sickly and sold to another couple. The new guy likes the idea of sportscars and sometimes drives them but he’s not really any good mechanically. Mainly he likes to sit in his garage with the hood up and rev the engines repeatedly for about an hour. I have no idea what he thinks he is accomplishing. He’s far enough away that it really isn’t very bothersome for me. Might be time to get one of the big blocks back on the road and show him what a real engine sounds like :grinning: Then again, it could backfire. He might like it more and start doing that with an engine I can actually hear…

Yep, get em out and show him how they are meant to be driving, with the rear tires turning much faster then the fronts… :wink:

1 Like

In an adjacent town, there is someone who likes to collect old Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis cars. Some of them are decommisioned police cars, and some are civilian-models. Since he has them strewn across his front lawn, I don’t understand why that town hasn’t gone after him for that “display”, but I suppose that they don’t have a relevant ordinance.

Because two of the decommissioned police cars are parked right next to the roadway, it’s interesting to see some drivers suddenly slow down when they see those bogus cop cars.

I don’t know what the cheapest carbon tub car is for sale these days. I’m sure the vette would double in price if it had a carbon tub. And more carbon bits. Should the Bugatti cost $500k? Or $2million? Why is it $4 million?

Because it’s Bugatti, and they can.

4 Likes

Chiron was around $3 Million, Could get the Lambo Revuelto for $500K before extras. Mustang GTD is probably the current cheapest of the carbon tub’s. The Alfa 4C was a carbun tub for under $100K but is out of production.