Broken Window crank

How to replace a broken window crank. The drivers side window crank broke on me this weekend. Before it broke the window started to get real difficult to move up or down. I removed the the clip that holds the crank arm on and then removed the door panel to get inside for a look. Well the pin that holds the crank to the window mechanism came out and while I can get it back in all it does is spin. So I guess the question is how and if can I replace the whole window mechanism. I know that there are 4 bolts that hold it in place. Any tricks for separating it from the window and removing it from the door. Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Year/Make/Model would help.

You’ll have to replace the crank obviously…but it sounds like there’s another problem. The difficult to move window is what caused the crank to break. That should be addressed before you replace the crank. I suggest you replace the whole mechanism including the slides.

The car is a 1990 honda civic dx. I agree that I need to replace the whole mechanism. I am not sure as to how to go about it. How do I remove it from the door? As I said I believe that there are only 4 bolts holding it in place. I took those out but nothing seemed to want to move. I am not sure what exactly you mean by slides. Are these the arms that hold the window in place and allow the window to move up and down? How is the window itself removed from the whole mechanism. Thanks Tim

To remove the window glass from the regulator usually requires lowering the window to a point where the bolts that hold the glass to the regulator align with holes in the door. Then the bolts can be removed with an extension and socket.

Tester