Broken power window controls

I have a 1989 Nissan Maxima with about 105,000 miles on it. The power windows are all messed up - the driver’s controls only open the driver’s window. To open the front passenger window you have to lean over to the passenger door - I can live with that. However, the back windows don’t work at all. Not only do the controls not work, but the windows drop open and we drive around with bits of paper and cardboard stuck in the window frames to keep them shut. It only works for a few days at a time, and now winter’s coming! Needless to say I don’t want to spend money on this car, and I don’t really care as much about repairing the controls as keeping those back windows closed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Teri

Replace the window regulators in the back; the switches are probably fine. You can buy them at eBay motors for less than $35 each, delivered. You probably need a new switch set for the driver’s side. They are also available for less than $35 on eBay. I bought replacement parts for my 1998 Regal from eBay merchants and I’m pleased with the results.

If you’re not concerned with back window operation you could remove the door panels, drill a small hole in the regulator scissors, and install a small screw to lock them in place.
That’s the simplest and cheapest way of solving the problem permanently.

Unplug the window motors as you do NOT want to be inadvertently hitting those rear window switches with the scissors locked.