Break Down Help!

I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2006 V8 4.7 with 133,000 miles. This week I went to a Quick Service Oil Change , after receiving an oil change they informed me I needed a Differential Fluid Change , that I "should have " had one at my last visit and couldn’t wait any longer. After receiving the two , I left and not even fifteen minutes later , I attempted to use my breaks approaching the end of the highway , instantly the car started making an extremely long banging / thumping sounds along with the a lot of shaking and the car proceed to dead right there. I got it towed home , the company is supposed to send some one to come do a once over. any ideas on what it could be? As sad as it sounds , I have a feeling they will do a look over and claim they don’t know what is wrong or that it isn’t there fault in any way.

If they don’t give you a satisfactory answer then get another mechanic to look army it. Sounds like they did something wrong.

Is there oil in the car now?

For future reference, quick-lube shops often use undertrained workers in a hurry, recommend unnecessary service, and use incorrect fluids. You should go to a real mechanic and use the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual to decide when service is actually due.

When you stopped the car was the engine still running and you had to turn it off by the key.

If yes, the " car started making an extremely long banging / thumping sounds along with the a lot of shaking"…I’d say that you had a U-joint fail and what you heard was the driveshaft flopping freely.

These Quick change oil places do not have very well trained mechanic’s and it would be easy for one to miss a U-joint about to fail. They were more interested in taking money from your wallet with another fluid change than actually inspecting the drive train.

Yosemite

There should be no connection to the brakes but that doesn’t mean the brakes are actually at fault.

They may have forgotten to re-fill the differential and now it is ruined. It can be repaired but expect $1500 or so to fix it.

They may have forgotten to put oil in, too.

+1 to @lion9car … I wouldn’t let Jiffy Lube change my wiper blades let alone touch my engine or differential.

We have countless posts here from this exact company screwing up poster’s cars.

I’ve personally witnessed some of the things quickie lubes do. I wouldn’t trust them to change the oil in my lawnmower.

I’m with Mustangman. Quickie lubes often drain differentials and/or transmissions and then overfill the engine oil. Their business model of using unskilled labor and leaving them no time to figure out what they’re doing promotes mistakes.

And I’ll bet you’re right in that they deny all responsibility. The kid, likely terrified, will say :we never touched that plug" or words to that effect. If that happens, get a lawyer. And document absolutely everything carefully and accurately. It’s also possible that they’ll want to bring it back and “fix” it themselves. Don’t let them. Have it repaired by a qualified shop.

And take photos of everything you can.

Instead of towing it home, I would have had it towed to a shop for the same price. You may need an expert opinion on what the problem is and whether or not the quickie lube caused a problem. Quickie can go to the shop to look at it just as well as your home. Just IMHO.

The first thing you need to do is raise the hood and check the engine oil level on the dipstick. Checking the floor underneath the vehicle for oil spots is also a good idea.

If there is no oil on the dipstick you need to have a meeting of the minds with those people when they show up and BEFORE they haul your car off. In writing, no oil on the stick if that is the case.

Concur, first things first, check the oil dipstick level and – if you can, otherwise get a shop to do it for you – the differential fluid level. Do this before attempting to start the engine again.

You didn’t get any gasoline just before all this happened, right? If so, that’s another possibility, contaminated gas. Or accidentally filling with diesel.

If the gas is ok & both fluid levels are ok, the symptom may have nothing to do with the service you just had, just a coincidence is all. In that case, since it happened when you applied the brakes, ask our shop to check the power brake booster. The diaphragm can leak and allow a lot of air into the engine which will make it run so lean it will cough and sputter. And it can even allow the brake fluid to get sucked into the engine, which will cause severe engine symptoms as you might expect. Is your brake fluid level down to very low?