Brakes need to be changed

Above that it says this in bold…

There are two brake pads per car wheel. Most brake pads are usually sold in sets of four which is enough to complete a pad replacement on one axle. Replacing the pads on a car, therefore, requires eight brake pads.

They are probably saying most cause of the people that say, well back in 19xx I bought just 2 pads/shoes per box… They are just CYAing themselves… Some people just like to nick pick every word and take everything literally and forget there are exceptions to every rule… But as a rule of thumb there is 4 per box…

It probably was still the 20th century last time I purchased brake pads … lol … I’m quite certain they had two pads per box. But maybe there were two boxes in another box.

Starting the early 1980s, I have never bought a set of brake pads that didn’t include all 4 pads for the specified end of the car.

Always loose, in one box? Brake pads are pretty heavy so I could imagine a manufacturer might want to package them in pairs, then put two pair in another bigger box.

And most automotive brake pads are pretty light, I have no idea what brake pads you have been buying… Brake pads weigh less then a pound each, so a set/box of 4 is around or less then 5 pounds…

@NYBo , I’m sure you read the whole post (61) as well as my reply (post 59) before that one and didn’t take the back in 19xx I bought just 2 pads/shoes per box… out of context… As I have seen thousands of brake pads and ALL had 4 pads per box… :wink:

@thefinisher1985_185383 What exactly is going on here. Did you buy the brakes and take them to your mechanic to have them installed? Why didn’t you let your mechanic order the brakes? Have the brakes been replaced already?

If you ordered that kit, you ordered the wrong kit. You need two rotors, 4 pads, two drums and 4 shoes. Do you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine? The V6 Lx did come with 4 wheel disc brakes but you have not mentioned which engine you have and most LX’s had the 4 cylinder.

I’m afraid that what’s going on is that the OP is pretty confused about brakes but keeps trying to solve this issue in unusual ways. The normal approach would of course be to let the mechanic obtain the brakes so that there would be a full warranty on the parts and labor if anything goes wrong.

1 Like

@keith it’s a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. Yes I ordered them but they have not been installed. They should arrive today. On the website it did say they will fit my vehicle. I only take my car to my mechanic and he works on it outside, there wouldn’t be a warranty because it’s not at a shop. So should I return them and just buy the parts separately. I wanted to buy a set because separately is a bit pricey.

@lion9car the parts I ordered do have a warranty on them if something went wrong.

@George_San_Jose1 @NYBo @davesmopar and @anyone else:

here is a box of brake pads off of my shelf. They are sold in sets, which are for both sides of one axle of a vehicle. I don’t know of any brake pad manufacturer that would be ok with selling just 2 pads for one wheel position of a vehicle, as the legal implications would be crazy
“They only sold me enough for 1 side, so that’s all I replaced. it’s their fault my car ran through a school bus full of nuns.”

:slight_smile:

this includes 4 pads- 2 left, 2 right, and enough hardware for both sides.

1 Like

And I seem to remember (40+ years later) that the brake shoes we’d get at the shop would come 4 to the box, with the matched shoes stacked on each other.

I have said that every time!!! George is the one that keeps saying otherwise… :wink:

1 Like

I did. I was responding to George and neglected to remove your partial quote.

1 Like

Checking my old box from rock auto. Yeah four pads per box mail order. I always keep the old ones for a quick comparison before tearing anything apart to make sure I have the right ones. Not that I don’t trust the order fillers bur . . .

Discovering an ambiguous def’n of a brake shoe “set” isn’t overly suprising. Ambiguous part names seem pretty common in car repair & manuals. But I have no dispute w/the comments above that the number of brakes pads needed is twice the number of caliper pistons.

Uh, what? Do you mean ‘twice the number of calipers’? Each caliper can have 1, 2, 4, sometime more pistons.

1 Like

Never had to deal w/ a multiple piston configuration. Do all of the pistons push on the same pad? If so, then yes I concur w/your forumula, number of pads = twice the number of calipers.

As far as I know all calipers, regardless of piston count, require 2 pads per caliper.

Here’s a 6-piston caliper:

1 Like

Ok so it looks like I have to return what I purchased because my rear has drums. Can someone tell me if all this is correct… Here is what I previously ordered…

Here are the parts I’m going to order…

Here is another option they have, they have only these two on this site…

They also have some powerstop sets at AutoZone for a bit more. I’m going to get the front brakes I need as well.

These are from AutoZone… Just 2 I’m considering.

They have some 300-400 dollars ones too. I mean should I pay that much for the rotors and pads?