Brakes need to be changed

How about returning everything and have whoever does the brakes get the brakes for you???

6 Likes

For your level of experience, pay a bit more and go to a local car parts store, get the mid-priced parts, better chance of getting the right parts, easy to exchange if they’re wrong.

All this assumes you’re using your mechanic friend who doesn’t have a garage.

otherwise, do as @davesmopar recommends

1 Like

@davesmopar I am returning everything. Just honestly don’t want to spend a shit ton of money I don’t have much.

I have to chuckle.
80 posts later it still comes down to what I said in the beginning:

Let good mechanic do the diagnosis, gather the needed parts, and do the needed work.

I do a lot of DIY, but when I suspect something is out of my range I find someone who knows what they’re doing, and let them do their thing.

6 Likes

Start with a brake inspection.

Minimum brake pad thickness is 1.6 mm (front).

Minimum brake shoe lining thickness is 2.0 mm (rear).
New brake shoes have a lining thickness of 4.5 mm.
Your brake shoes might be 3.0 mm, this looks thin but could last 5 years.

Yep back to square one. Just have a shop do the work and get the parts needed and pay them. My wife would not know if it was front or rear drive or all wheel drive or if they were disc or drums. A quick look at the wheel would reveal that. I would not let her order car parts from Amazon. I would just tell her to take the car to Dave. Case closed.

2 Likes

@Nevada_545 so pretty much take it to a different shop and just tell them to check my thickness on the brakes and go from there?

Have your mechanic inspect the brakes, you might not need both front and rear brakes to be replaced or new rotors and drums.

Well thank you :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :grin:

2 Likes

Damn, have you NOT been reading all the reply’s, we have just about ALL been saying that from the beginning, except for trying to explain how many pads come in a box set…

Just ask the shop to check your brakes and then stop talking and wait for the estimate if any…

Not trying to be disrespectful, but I also Highly suggest taking your dad with you cause they could tell you to change out you blinker fluid to new summer formula now and you might not know the difference…

3 Likes

3 Likes

@thefinisher1985_185383 - we’re going round and round with you on this because you gotta get the brakes fixed correctly, they’re the major safety system (along with tires) on your car. Not the place to scrimp.

3 Likes

Brake parts are generally not overly expensive, even when purchased at the local dealership parts store. Since OP is new to the process, if they want to try a diy’er repair, that’s where I’d suggest they purchase the brake parts, at a Honda dealership. Less chance of squeaking brakes too if using dealership parts.

If the front brake parts need to be replaced , do that job as the first step. Once that is done, then move on to the rear brakes. One steop at a time in other words. Trying to be 100% cost efficient on the first attempt at a diy’er job is a fool’s errand, very unlikely to be successful. Pay up as required for good parts that fit correctly, and enjoy the savings you achieve on the labor fee.

With all due respect George, telling the OP to try to DIY brakes would be like telling ME to wright a program or what ever you used to do for the state to make it run better… I don’t know crap about software, programming or any of that stuff… I just locked my laptop up the other day and just handed it to my wife cause I had NO idea what happened much less what to do about it… I know when to pass the job on to someone more qualified then me… Not everybody needs to be doing there own brakes and safety stuff on a vehicle that can affect their safety as well as other on the road…

2 Likes

I’m not “telling” OP to do the job themselves. No dispute, brake work should only should be done by a diy’er if they know it will be done correctly. My impression from the above posts was that was their intent, and they were going to get experienced help from their dad and a mechanic. My intent was to advise the OP to break the job down into manageable segments, not attempt to do everything at once.

That is what I went off of… :wink:

1 Like

Yep otherwise you can drve all the way to the scene of the accident.

1 Like

You’re spending a lot of time and energy to save a few bucks. Just take it to a shop and get it taken care of.

We are offering a special price this month: pads, shims and labor, $600 per axle. Car wash and vacuum included.

It is best not to rush into things.

I would start with this.

The rear brake shoes just get very little use is a disc drum set. Every time I checked the rear shoes on my 97 Accord, they were at almost new specs, even at 200+k miles. But as your brakes are approaching the 20 year mark, I’d really consider all new hoses as well, front and rear.

They don’t show a rear brake hose or hose set for rear drum brakes.