Brakes dont work good

I think we need @WheresRick with his “ode to the humble drum brake”

5 Likes

And the early ones had headlights that worked off a magneto such that a lighted match gave more light to see by when going up a hill. And wooden floorboards that didn’t rust! Yep, yep, they just don’t build 'em like they used to anymore. :wink::upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Marnet- you never ceases to amaze me! How’d you know about Magneto’s?

2 Likes

Just doing a friend a favor by high lighting some of the words your spell check missed.

Read the OPs responses, he doesn’t want to fix his hydraulic brakes.
He wants to convert them to mechanic brakes, last used on an American car in 1939.

3 Likes

the poster specificaly asked could my power booster be the problem here there is nothen mentioned about converting the breaks to mecanical fom the origanal poster that i can see so there for that subject that that person is refering to needs to start his own thread not hijack puppykickers

Then search for a 1939 or older Ford, even then I think you will be hard pressed to find one that has not been converted to hydraulic.

I think the Troll has attracted another Troll and now have 2 on this thread .
@cdaquila Sending Bat Signal for our esteemed Moderator.

1 Like

yeah i gusses if he really wanted to go to a cable setup he might beable to adapted one of the rear disk brake acuratores to the front and maybe install a cable system to a hand brake but it would not pass any safty inspection to be allowed on the road with out a foot brake with out an operating brake light setup

im a mechanic not an english or grammer professor but thanks anyways

:laughing:

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I respectfully suggest that you reduce your dosage.
:thinking:

1 Like

i dont go through all the replies i read the first one where the person is asking for help or info i glance over a few strolling down to the reply button but the way people carry on hell i would just assume to go cable as to figering out all of yas bs answers

I think you are right just hope they don’t breed.

1 Like

I heard stories from my late dad about the cars his father had back in the 1920s. :grin:

1 Like

Yikes. I misread that. In that case, it might be worth paying the dough to get a new brake system.

The 1969 Dodge Dart I learned to drive on had manual brakes. Are you telling me they were hydraulic non-power brakes? I always assumed they were cable-activated, like a parking brake.

All brakes on all major makes since 1939 are hydraulic.

3 Likes

??? No…really??? There hasn’t been a mass produced car without a hydraulic brake system in 80 years! The 69 Dart even had a dual circuit system so if a wheel cylinder failed you would only lose half the system.

If you ever drove a car with cable brakes you would know it. They were horrible.

1 Like

My 69 vette has OEM 4 wheel disc brakes. They are manual- no power booster.

That car even has OE fiber optic cables in it to transmit light from stop and turn signal lamps to lenses in the center console.

They were hydraulic, with no power boost.

2 Likes