‘Blame U.S. regulators for the Kia and Hyundai theft crisis’

‘This crazy trend of teenagers stealing Kia and Hyundai cars is a uniquely American problem. It isn’t going on in Canada or Europe. Why not? By 2007, Canada, Australia and most other well-off nations required automakers to install an ignition immobilizer – a simple and inexpensive device that makes it difficult to start the car unless another chip device (normally attached to the key) is in the vehicle. In short, it’s an effective tool to keep people from stealing cars for a joyride. The United States still doesn’t require them.’
wrote the ’Washington Post’s’ excellent Heather Long: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/10/kia-hyundai-theft-settlement-recall/
‘I’m putting a tracking device in my car. A $30 tracker can be instrumental in finding stolen vehicles. (Some cities, including D.C., now hand them out for free).’

If it’s not required then Kia made that decision.

2 Likes

This is NOT because of US regulators. This is because of Kia and Hyundai not wanting to spend the money to put immobilizers in their vehicles. You want the US to regulate EVERYTHING?

7 Likes

Just about tells the whole story.

1 Like

How collectively dumb have we become that when a thief steals a car, we blame the car?

I don’t want to spend the money either. I already pay money for police to prevent and act upon theft. This is just lack of responsibility and accountability on many levels. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

5 Likes

It’s missing a 20 cent piece in the ignition cylinder lock that makes it require special tools or the key to remove. Thieves caught on to this. This could be an upsell to an expensive electronic solution like Canada requires which requires dealer tools to copy keys and replace modules. If you have an out of support vehicle and junk yard parts don’t work because they need dealer programming it can be a big problem.

As someone suggested, the bigger issue is blaming the car for a crime problem. There has been less and less motivation from law enforcement to put these people in jail, and more laws to protect the thieves. What are you going to do if someone jumps you and forces you to give them your keys when they run out of easy to steal cars?

1 Like

Police don’t put people in jail, prosecutors do… and they haven’t been doing that so why should the police be motivated to arrest them?

This…

In my county, the carjacker may have been in the safety of the county jail or state prison since it is not likely his first attempt.

1 Like

Prosecutors aren’t part of law enforcement?

There aren’t enough police to do that. Hyundai should make the cars less theft prone or face the expense of retrofitting older ones without the technology. Hyundai tried to save some money and it bit them on the nose. Though darts, Hyundai. Pay for your mistakes.

Many ( most?) car thieves are under 16. The police can’t put them in jail for long if at all. Auto theft rings have used preteens and young teens to steal cars for years so that they can get them out on the streets quickly.

2 Likes

The ignition lock must be in the accessory position to release the lock pin, just like the old cars. However just like the old cars, the ignition lock can be removed by breaking the steering column.

These vehicles, some up to $50,000 do not have modern security features, many people in my area have been killed by thieves in stolen vehicles. When a 15-year-old kid steals a car, crashes and kills 3 of his friends, is bad parenting to blame?

I suppose prosecutors are part of law enforcement. My mistake.

1 Like

You tell me what is to blame. I never stole a car when I was 15 or any other age. None of my friends ever did. None of my cousins ever did. My sister knew a guy that did and he spent six months in the reform school. Whether family, church, or inherent sense of right and wrong, I dunno but never would have done it. Never shot at anyone either. My dad and the nra taught me gun safety. Maybe the government is not the answer but the problem.

3 Likes

Nor did I, but when I was a teenager, my father confessed to me that, when he was about 13, he “borrowed” his father’s new National touring car while their chauffeur was at lunch. Luckily, he didn’t damage the car, but he got some severe penalties from his father when he returned home with the car.

Ha ha. My uncle drove the 28 ford milk truck. He was the only chauffeur in the family.

As long as the degree of theft-resistance is transparent, easily available for comparison, car to car, to new car buyers, I don’t see the need for add’l gov’t regulations for that. The manufactures will quicky get the message and make the necessary design changes if they hear they are losing sales b/c their cars aren’t theft resistant enough. Here in Calif there’s a requirement that retail stores must provide a “gender neutral” section. That’s over the top regulation imho, the retailers should decide their store layouts.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it turned out to be… not so funny.
They owned a small chain of stores selling high-end shoes, and things were good until the Hoover Depression hit. Then, their clientele dried-up, my father had to quit high school in order to work (for free…) in the family business, and later they wound-up losing everything. One of my Great Uncles, who owned 1/3 of the business, took his own life, and the entire family went into an emotional depression.

That nice National touring car became just a memory of better times.

My grandmother lost her shoe-store during the depression. Lost the store, her house which her mom bought when they came over from Ireland in the 1800’s.

Yep bad times. My dad was on the dairy farm so they always had food and milk was easier to sell than shoes. My grandmother was a widow with my mom. My dad would often bring them food from the farm. Guess that’s why he always worked a couple jobs and we had a big garden. We’d make the rounds to elderly friends with the spoils of the garden. Good role model

lol … reminds me of yet another story. As my non-english-speaking friend & I walked past Hoover Tower at Stanford Univ, I was trying to explain who Herbert Hoover was, and why he would have a tower . A Hoover-tower presumably NeoCon Prof walks by, hears what I’m saying, and yells to my friend to ignore me, that I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about … lol …

Yeah Hoovervilles was a common comment. His economic policies made things worse but he was a genius at organization and the work he did after ww 1 showed much compassion for people in need. He often commented how thankful he was for fdr bringing him on to help improve his reputation. He reorganized the federal government with great success.

Just let facts be facts but if you read “the forgotten man”. The actions fdr took against business lengthened the depression only to end because of the war build up.

In Econ class the professor said we, meaning freshman classmates, know more now about the economy than they did. So enough blame to go around.