Thefts prompt 18 states to urge recall of Kia, Hyundai cars

I was thinking of doing a business to fix this. $50 to drill and put a security screw in the ignition cylinder lock so that it canā€™t be removed with just a screw driver.

Most cars need the key or use bolts with heads that break off or something like that to remove the ignition cylinder lock.

I know they have the software fix using the keyless entry where locking the car with it electronically disables it. Problem is if something ever happens to the keyless entry device youā€™re stuck. Or if someone else who has only a key needs to unlock it and drive it they canā€™t.

I heard this same story on the radio news today, applying to the California Attorney General. One problem, news reporters have a difficult time explaining why this particular car is easier to steal than others. I expect part of the reason for the news-reporterā€™s obfuscation is they donā€™t want to further publicize the causes, less that info aids even more would-be car thieves.

1 Like

They have a difficult time because they have no clue how any of this stuff works. Technology is beyond a great many of them.

1 Like

Iā€™m hearing quite a bit of very unusual, sort of uneducated-sounding, wording on the radio these days. For example the other day someone (on NPR I think it was) was talking about libraries, and changes they are undergoing due to electronic books. The problem was, she was confusing the meaning of the words ā€œborrowā€ and ā€œloanā€. i.e. in conventional word usage, the patron borrows the book, and the library loans the book. Instead sheā€™d talk about a patron who ā€œloans the bookā€ ā€¦

1 Like

Clearly, schools are failing the media.

1 Like

Do you notice this unusual, seemingly uneducated wording commonly used on the radio these days too? I was thinking I was the only one noticing.

Words mean different things to different people. Add live speech to mix and it makes perceived differences even greater. While words are important, I donā€™t think the example you gave is remarkable.

ā€˜remarkableā€™ is a judgement call, but I think if a patron walked up to the desk to check-out a book at a local US-based public library and said ā€œIā€™d like to loan this bookā€, the staff folks at the library would find that request pretty unusual.

1 Like

They would loan it to you if you asked to borrow it. I doubt they would much care since the idea is communication, not grading everyoneā€™s vocabulary.

The issue isnā€™t so much vocabulary, ā€œloanā€ being an actual word related to libraries. But this person was on the radio w/supposed library expertise, being interviewed about how libraries are being changed by electronic books. Using the word ā€œloanā€ instead of the properly used ā€œborrowā€ was adding to the confusion. Maybe she was using ā€œborrowā€ on purpose, but if so, no idea what her point was.

No worries, the young people canā€™t sign there names to check out a book anyway unless texting is involvedā€¦

3 Likes

How collectively dumb have we become that when a thief steals a car, we blame the car?

7 Likes

With most car thefts now targeting Kia and Hyundai, it would be such an opportunety to catch thieves and put them in jail.

ā€¦for one night.

I have a habit of listening to a recent Car Talk podcast on Sunday mornings b/c that is when the show was broadcast on my local NPR station until a few years ago. On this morningā€™s podcast, Ray and Tom took a call from a lady with an engine performance problem, that improved (so she claimed) when her shop topped-off the oil level. During this discussion she continually referred to her carā€™s ā€œoil tankā€. I usually hear it referred to as the oil pan, the crankcase, or the sump. Apparently by ā€œoil tankā€ she meant the place the end of oil dipstick goes. Pro mechanics that deal with customers all the time must have funny stories about the terminology some of the customers use.

Hyundai issued a free recall to fix this issue months ago.

Hyundai, Kia Provide Anti-Theft Software Update | NHTSA

1 Like