Better area to attach an Hillman magnetic key holder

I had this under a wheelwell but it accumulates a lot of dirt from the tires sloshing water against it.

Is there another place that the magnetic key holder would stick to?

Any place that is steel. Problem is finding a steel spot that hides it and doesn’t collect crud. So really nowhere on modern cars.

1 Like

2009 Mazda CX-7

I had mine mounted on the front. When I really needed it, it had rusted off years before. On another car, the thing was frozen solid in a block of ice when I went to use it. I would just take a piece of electrical wire and hand it someplace where you can get at it. Instead I just taped a key inside my fuel cover with duct tape.

Good idea for many cas out there.

Thanks. That is an interesting idea.

I could put a spare key in a wallet. I used to have both keys with me on different key rings so that one would go in the ignition and the other could open my mailbox without shutting the car off.
In this new balonium I don’t have that kind of key. Unless I use the key fob I cant retract my ramp after I roll down it.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, the key only opens the door or trunk. I have the spare fob in the trunk.

Here’s another option.

Get a 12 inch length of house wiring (#12 or #14 wire). Use it as a twist-tie to attach the metal key to some part of the rear undercarriage. If you get on your back at the rear of the car, you should be able to find something to attach the wire and key to. It will be “out of sight” and accessible for the rare occasion when you lose your key fob.

This also works well with smart keys. In this case, just hide the metal “vanity” key with the house wiring twist-tie. That gets you into the car.
Then wrap the smart-key fob in aluminum foil and hide it somewhere inside the vehicle.

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t have a locking gas door… :wink:

1 Like

My fuel cover opens using a lever on the driver seat.

So putting the key there would not work.

I am going to look at my undercarriage to look for areas where a magnet would stick well.

Just remember, the time you’re going to need that key is when you parked in a puddle of water and wearing your Sunday church clothes.

2 Likes

Would never use one.
Criminals can easily find it.

Years ago my girlfriend locked her keys in her car. I was far away.
She had to waitwo hours and paid much for a locksmith.

I useductape to attach the key where only she would find it.
More difficulto reach but saved her time and money.

For an elderly man I attached his spare key to a black #14-gauge solid copper wire.
Hooked it on one of the slots ||||||||| ||||||||| in front of the windshield.
Difficulto see but he could easily get it out.

For another person I made keyvhich would not starthe vehicle.
Hid it in the gas door behind the door bracket.

Then you go on about hiding keys!

2 Likes

Yes. Hidden where too difficult for criminals to find.
None found that black wire in plain sight.

Since themergencyehicle key fob is in my cargo pants leg pocket, less likely that I willose it.
Years ago at 0h dark thirty, I dropped thExpedition keys which slid on the ice toward the blood center’sewer grate.
Just in case, another key was hidden which would open the back hatch.
The spare key fob was wrapped in aluminum foil in the first aid kit so the vehicle will not detect it.

Take a look under the car in behind the front-bumper. Not totally immune to road water splashes, but better than near/behind the wheels. Enclose the spare key in a waterproof bag.

Just some comments. Had my water pump replaced. Shop locked my keys in the car and parked it against a snow bank where the hidden key was supposed to be.

Thieves don’t look for hidden keys anymore so don’t worry about it.

My Acura won’t allow the doors to be locked with the fob inside. So double warning just not to lose it.

Motor club sent the guy out 30 miles to unlock my car. No charge and no need to call a lock smith.

Everyone has to come up with their own emergency plan but those things rust off, fall off, or can be inaccessible in the winter or bad weather. But getting the door open won’t help if you can’t start the car.

Had one on top of my trailer hitch receptacle, gone now.

Don’t know if it will help the OP but in my case I haven’t locked my house doors for so many years can’t remember how many same with my truck key always in the ignition unless it is in the shop overnight then they will remove it or if I am 75 or more miles from home an do not know the area.

1 Like

You can get ones to go in the hitch, combo lock to open, had one for dad’s 2007 crv.