Oh dark-thirty (04:40) I dropped the key fob. Almost fell down a hospital'storm drain

(It_s-Me revealed why I could not insert metal key. Thank you!)

Used 2016 RX350. No Owner’s Manual.
After a long emergentransport, carrying heavy platelet boxes I dropped the key fob.

Withextra key fob hidden in themergencyehicle, can I use that fob’s metal “key” to get into the vehicle?
Then I can geto the aluminum foil-shielded key fob.

Can I.nserthat metal key into a lock to open a door?
That metal key is out-of-sight behind the gas door hinge.

Thank you.

A proximity key never needs to leave your pocket, how could it be dropped?

There is no other use of the metal key other than to unlock the door.

No big deal, pick it up

Why not, it’s available free from the Toyota website. And numerous other sites.

As already stated, that’s what it’s for

Not if the fuel door release is inside the locked vehicle.
BTW “almost” doesn’t count

2 Likes

Having trouble figuring out your post. Lifted many a storm grate with bare hands or minimal tools.

Took it out of my pocketo lock the vehicle as I carried theavy boxes into the hospital.
Must lock the other boxestill inside the vehicle.

Have not found where that metal key inserts.

No inside gas doorelease. Door opens by pushing on it.

(In a hurry I worded poorly.)
Thistorm drain is very deep. Pipe too narrow to get inside.
Would be unable to continue to thext hospital until I retrieved it.

Where is that metal key inserted to unlock a door?

Capture

Now I understand why the metal key would not insert.
If I lose the key fob, canow get inside and use the hidden, shielded spare key fob.
Thank you.

(A friend kept hispare key fob ihis desk at home. Called me to get into his locked house. I brought ito him.)

Robert:
Here’s another variation, because in many cars you cannot access the gas cap without using a release-lever from inside the vehicle.

Get a 12 inch length of house wiring (#12 or #14 wire). Use it as a twist-tie to attach the metal key to some part of the rear undercarriage. If you get on your back at the rear of the car, you should be able to find something to attach the wire and key to. It will be “out of sight” and accessible in the rare occasion when you lose your key fob.

Then, as you noted, wrap the key fob in aluminum foil and hide it somewhere inside the vehicle.

Thank you. This gas door opens by pressing it. The 2013 had the release lever.
Have hidden keys on others’ vehicles using exactly that: Black #14 solid copper.
Enclosed the metal key in electrical tape to prevent corrosion.

For one friend I hung her key on the #14 from the air inlet “grill” before the windshield.
Its black insulation made it difficulto see. Though I showed her where it was, one time she called because she could not find it.

For all the drivers that still pull the key fob out to unlock or start the car, I salute you. That habit is cause by your many years of driving with a real door/ignition key. My wife has been driving for almost 50-years and just by force of habit, she still pulls the fob out to unlock the door and she holds the fob in the same hand she presses the START Button. I’ve told her that the fob just needs to be within 3 feet of the door for it to unlock, she says that since we still have two other vehicles that use (actually, real honest to goodness…) keys, she “needs” the key in hand…

There is also her other habit, when she is driving, she puts her purse on the floor of the back seat; which puts the fob too far away to start the car. This habit was developed when we lived in Naples, Italy. She was stuck in traffic and her purse was on the front seat. Someone walking between the rows of cars saw her purse, smashed the window, and grabbed her purse. The same “smash-n-grab” happened to several of her friends… As a matter of fact, I still carry my wallet in my left front pocket because there were so many pick-pockets roaming the streets of Europe back in the 1970s…

So please don’t be too judgmental about us “fob-in-hand” folks…

As a final thought, before you decide on a place to hide the key, imagine trying to get at it if it’s dark or raining, or on a snow or mud covered road.

JoeMario suggests using a copper wire, good advice. Copper does not rust or rot. A wire-tie doesn’t rust or rot either, but if you left your handy-dandy, Swiss Army Knife at home, you are probably not going to be able to rip the key free.

Just be glad we do not need to carry an engine crank any more…

crank

To start my 1961 Volvo 544, I would push it and place in gear and lethe clutch out gently.

(Justried the fob metal key in the RX350 door handle. The key slot is at an angle so the key can insert below the door handle.)

Kazumi likes her spare key hanging on the black wire from the air inlet grill.
Easy to geto but difficulto notice. Said she has used it “several time”.

After all these years R G still has not figured out how to unload and lock vehicle .

3 Likes

Hi Bjensky:
Perhaps I was not clear.
By using the wire as a twist-tie, no Swiss Army Knife is needed. The wire can be easily untwisted years after it was installed.

As a final thought, before you decide on a place to hide the key, imagine trying to get at it if it’s dark or raining, or on a snow or mud covered road.

That’s by design. Make it inconvenient enough so that you only use it when absolutely needed.

No Joe, it is me who was not clear, I call “Cable Ties, Zip Ties, or Tie Wraps” (as pictured below…) “wire ties” and this is not their proper nomenclature (product name). So to all, I apologize. I did not intend to confuse anyone, it was me, perhaps stuck in my "old ways.

This is the item I was warning folks not to use, Cable Ties, Zip Ties, or Tie Wraps, as they cannot be pulled, twisted, or yanked to free the key and some downright resist cutting with a knife…

So, follow Joe’s advice, use copper wire with a twist (not to be confused with shaken, not stirred…).

Cable Ties -- Zip Ties -- Tie Wraps

Hi Bjensky:
Glad the confusion is cleared up.
And I fully understand that nomenclature you mentioned, as I sometimes hear or use them interchangeably.

Joe

Maybe he will return the favor when you discover the fuel door locks when the doors are locked.

Press the door-close button on the power liftgate twice, all of the doors will lock after the liftgate closes.

Thank you for posting.
Now home.
After a bloodelivery this morning I noticed the gas door clunk when I unlocked the RX350.
Locked the vehicle again. Gas door clunk…Locked!!

Tied the fob key behind one of das pretty blue lights on the license plate frame.
Not as easy to geto and not as protected from thelements.

Thank you, again. Normally I press the liftgate button to lock the vehicle.

if you leave the fob in the elements it will get ruined.
just leave the fob in your pocket. like stated above as long as you are within 3 feet there is no need to take it out if your pocket. everything will still work because it is in communication with your vehicle.

Thank you.
Justhe small fob key is hidden outside where I can geto it.
Thelectronic fob is wrapped in aluminum foil and hidden inside the RX350 where likely never found.