Best ways to sell a rare classic

I have a 77 Mercury Cougar Wagon (not a misprint) that my teenage neighbor smashed her car into.

No time to fix it and the insurance company totaled the car out even though it only had 77k mi, a smashed fender, and front end damage from her pushing the car sideways into the curb.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Use craigslist or Ebay. And don’t expect much in the way of $$. For this car ‘rare’ does not mean valuable.

I’d say eBay or Hemmings. Too bad it’s damaged. I don’t think you’re going to get much for this car.

A quick Google search shows them in the $500 - 1,500 range.

It’s really a Pinto S/W with a Capri V6, right?

Craigslist it. Take ANY offer.

No disrespect meant, but a '77 Cougar Wagon that’s been smashed into doesn;t fall into the category of a rare classic.

If you can get a few bucks for it, take 'em. By the way, if the insurance totalled the car and paid you damages accordingly, you have been made “whole”…they own the car now. Unless you then bought the wreck from them it isn’t yours to sell.

Not quite that small - it’s the mid-size LTD-II wagon, a badge job on the Ford.

It may be rare but that doesn’t make it a classic, most cars detriot produced in the Malaise Era (1974-1984ish) were more reviled than lusted over. I’d take $500 for it

Is this your only car? If not, why are you in a hurry? If you just want to get rid of it, advertise it on line or in a cheap mailer. The one near me is called the Pennysaver.

Thanks everyone. For those who inquired… It’s not the wimpy Pinto. It’s closer to a Mustang with three extra doors, a luggage rack, and an extra two feet and 200 lbs of steel in front of the front fenders (I jokingly called it my Mustang wagon). It was one of about 4000 and there are only a few hundred, if that, left.

While it’s not a Nomad, it’s kind of in that category-- the car nobody bought that all of a sudden became valuable because it is rare.

Of course, it’s no where near the same class as the Nomad. It is one of the “more reviled than lusted over” (thanks I’ll use that phrase again) smogged out, low quality, low compression, anemic gas guzzler Detroit made in the mid 70s.

Thanks again.

If a car is rare, it doesn’t make it a classic. I have a car that is rare–a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon 4-4-2 that I purchased new. However, in 1978, the 4-4-2 was just a trim and suspension package. The car has only a 260 cubic inch V-8 and an automatic transmission. Everyone who tells me that my car is a classic, I ask what they would give me for the car. These people run the other direction. If someone offered me $500, they would have a car. I tried to give the car to a collector who thought he wanted it, but his wife nixed the arrangement.