Best way to fix hard brake line

Do you mean pinch the rubber brake hose for that caliper to basically block the flow of brake fluid to that caliper?

You got it!

Tester

+1 for Tester…

Suggest to replace the calipers in pairs.

1 Like

+1

Anytime I do a repair to one side of the brakes such as pads, rotors, calipers, hoses (not lines) shoes, drums, wheel cylinders I always replace both sides… That is one thing I learned working on hydraulics of 20K-30K+ pound fork lifts and hydraulic equipment, that running a new and old(er) hose will flow at different rates… Vehicle related, it can cause vehicles to stop unevenly when one side is braking harder than the other side… I also use the same brand etc with calipers, wheel cylinders or hoses etc… the manufacturing process can sometimes be a little different and cause you to fight a slight or hard pull…

Hey everyone, not trying to beat a dead horse here but I did do as suggested and tried driving 20+ miles. Mostly high speed on the highway.

Pulled over after almost an hour of driving and touched each of the wheels to check their temperature.

On both the front and rear axles I noticed there was one wheel on each axle that was noticeably warmer than the other. Definitely none of them were hot to the touch, just one of the wheels on each axle was noticeably warmer than the other one for both axles.

For example, a wheel on one side of the axle felt room temperature, not even slightly warm and the one on the other side felt warmer (but definitely not hot) maybe just 10-15 degrees f warmer compared to the other side. Again, I replaced all calipers and all hoses and bled the system. And yes I did double check and none of the new rubber hoses are visibly kinked anywhere.

My question is; Is this slight variance in temperature of the wheels on each axle normal as long as none of them are actually burning hot to the touch? Or does what I’m describing indicate there could still be an issue? The brakes feel completely fine and again, none of the wheels actually feel hot to the touch - just some wheels are slightly warmer than others.

Anyone know?

If the temperature difference is small I would not worry about it.

2 Likes

Presuming there are no associated noises and you are comparing the temps of the discs, not just the wheels. If so, since this isn’t a major temp difference, if I had that problem I’d just keep monitoring the temp differences. They may return to equal temps near ambient (at least for each axle) w/use.

When you say may return to equal temps near ambient (at least for each axle) w/use do you mean as they break in?

Yes. The pads may not be exactly the same dimensions side to side and/or may not be seating in the caliper identically. W/use the pad that touches the disc w/a little more force will tend to wear faster and the theory is it will eventually match up w/the other one. If the temp differences don’t decrease or if they grow even greater w/use, this theory will have to be abandoned.

If diagonally opposed brakes are dragging, you may have a clogged return port in the master cylinder Happened to me on a 2003 Town and country

1 Like

Since the OP has a 2014 Mustang, I am sure the master cylinder split is front-rear not diagonal. FWD vehicles like a T&C van usually use a diagonal split.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t some debris in the lines going from the ABS unit to each wheel.

But 10-15 degrees doesn’t indicate a dragging brake. It is likely just break-in drag that will get better with time.

1 Like

Wouldn’t debris causing a clog be (almost) out of the question? Since the hydraulic pressure the brake generates would almost certainly push out dirt or debris that could of been in the lines when I did the initial brake flushes

Debris is unlikely.