Beeping Seat Belt Light

We have a 1991 Honda Accord - 115,000 miles.

The red seat belt light started beeping & wouldn’t shut up.

Then the seat belt stopped working. We replaced the seat belt: $520

The red light still beeps, & we are told by the mechanic that the red light computer needs to be replaced, another $300-400. The mechanic’s assistant who drives me to work told me it was just a fuse that could be disabled.

Hmmmm . . .

The only thing I know about cars is how to drive them. The seat belt works; I just want the beeping to stop. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Automatic seat belts in this car (Passive Restraint, as they’re called formally)? If so, then there’s a good chance that your beeper is on the same fuse as the seatbelt and if you remove the fuse, you lose your automatic seat belt power. On the other hand, if it’s a standard you-pull-it seat belt, I would just look for the seat belt fuse and yank it. Should do the trick.

The problem with pulling a fuse is that such fuse may control many other accessories, and the others are desirable or even vital. Look instead for the source of the beeps. It may be a simple plug-in unit, something like a relay, and likely somewhere under the dash or attached to the fusebox. Remove it and your troubles are over.