Bargain alert

Dunno if it’s chain wide but the local AutoZone is selling Castrol 0w16 full synthetic for $2/quart on clearance. Might be a chance to stock up.

1 Like

When I stopped at AZ looking for Mobil 5000 conventional, I noticed their AC filters were $10. Huh. $2.88 from Rock. I priced their Mobil 1 once and can’t recall the price but way higher than the farm store. I guess shop there carefully.

The price shows up on the website but only one of the 3 nearest Autozone’s appears to have some left.

I have to wonder why 0W16 would be “on clearance”, this oil will be in common use soon.

I suspect AZ overestimated how many DIYers would buy into the thin oil thing.
If I were doing my own oil changes on a car that calls for 0w16 I would use 5w20 instead.

3 Likes

I just bought 2, 5 quart jugs of full synthetic 0W-20 at Costco for $30.00, in Northern California. That’s $3 a quart, not a screaming bargain, but not bad either, and it’s not a deal, just the regular price. Compared to the price for one 5 quart jug of a synthetic at the regular shops it’s about 1/2 the price.

1 Like

I was at Costco last week and the Mobil 1 was somewhere north of $30 for a 5 quart jug. Cheaper at the farm store. They had some other brand also but don’t recall, maybe Valvolene. The only thing close to $15 that I have seen is non-synthetic or a blend, or the Citco or whatever it is re-cycled. I’d check the label on the stuff.

Beats me. I wondered the same thing. Possibly Castrol is coming out with a “new formula”?

No cars before 2018 use 0W-16 oil, and only some 4-cylinder Toyotas, Lexuses, and Hondas use it. I’d guess they bought too much and want to move it to create warehouse space for oils that their customers buy more often.

4 Likes

Entirely possible.

Yeah, “in use soon” isn’t the same thing as “currently something people are buying”.

1 Like

The full synthetic I bought was Kirkland, packed 2 in a white cardboard box with black printing. They had a large supply of it and the more expensive oils were nearby.

I’ve been using the Kirkland 0w20 and 5w30 full synthetic oils for a while now. It is the same as Supertech full synthetic from Walmart and Amazon Basics full synthetic.

For those with GDI engines, the Noack (ASTM D-5800) score on this (0w20) oil is 8.2 which is acceptable (<10) for GDI engines.

3 Likes

Good to know. Where do I find Noack scores for different oils?

They are supposed to be on the product data sheets from the manufacturer but I haven’t had much luck finding them. I got that one from another forum but I don’t know the actual source. You can google Noack scores and get charts, but I don’t know the source of any of those charts.

Those who are “in the know” watch Costco’s sale circulars for the months when they sell their proprietary synthetic Dexos-compliant oil at a substantial discount.

This site doesn’t list Noack for this particular oil, but has lots of other data:

https://pqia.org/kirkland-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil

Yesterday at Costco there was a large supply of Kirkland full-syn diesel oil, 3 gallons for about $33.00, in addition to the 0W-20 and 5W-30 full-syn oil for gasoline engines.

Toyota/Mobil 0W16 motor oil is now on back-order. Toyota issued a bulletin December 23, 2021 stating that because of the shortage, 0W20 can be substituted for 0W16 for more than one oil change interval.

Auto Zone still shows Castrol 0W16 for $2 a quart and not available. Mobil 1 is $10 per quart.

Costco shows “out of stock” for Mobil 1 products.

NAPA

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Motor Oil 0W20 Full Synthetic 5 Qt (US)

Part #: MOB 124185

Line: Mobil Oil

Was $42.49

$29.99

/ Each

Free Shipping on orders over $35

Monthly Special