Auto car locks

My 2005 EX performs like a dream, but just lately has developed a rather strange behavior: on very random occasions it will lock itself (all 4 doors), with the keys in or out of the ignition. To date, I’ve not been stranded, but I fear it’s only a matter of time…Help!

If the car is equipped with “keyless entry”, controlled by a key-fob beeper, these systems can respond to other R/F devices at seemingly random times…They can also malfunction and just start operating randomly. Many are also tied into an alarm system, complicating things further. These systems can be repaired (at your friendly dealer) at considerable cost (new electronics, new beeper) or disabled by pulling the fuse that powers them…

There is a switch on the driver’s key lock. If it is getting (or has been) wet, that might be the problem. Alternately, the wiring going to one of the front doors may be frayed and shorting sometimes. Lastly, it could be the electronic module that controls the locks.

Not sure, but I believe that by design, if you unlock the doors with the remote, and fail to start the car within a certain amount of time, the car will lock.

This is pretty obvious, but you’d better put a spare key in your wallet before it’s too late. I’m not sure if they still make the plastic ones that are lighter just for that.

Wow - I thought I was the only one who had this happen! It is very spooky, but haven’t gotten locked out of my 2004 EX yet.

Perhaps it’s the car’s way of telling you the battery needs changed in the FOB. At 6 or 7 years old, the battery for the remote is probably losing it’s charge and needs changed out.