Attention Mazda owners! Input, please

I am in the market for a used crossover SUV. I have narrowed it down t Mazda CX-5 (probably Grand Touring). I would love any input or to hear from people who have any Mazda vehicles. Tell me the good and the bad. Here are the things that are important to me:

Reliability. I’m planning to keep it until it dies so hopefully 150K or 200K miles or more.

Service costs as low as possible. I live in the South so we get very little snow or ice (I don’t think I need all-wheel drive).

A little zippy, fun to drive, good turning radius.
Good visibility out the windows.

I don’t need it to have all the newest and most advanced safety features. I like having a backup camera and a blind spot detector, but having a bunch of other safety features isn’t important to me.

I don’t have a CX-5.

However, if I were looking for the info you’re asking us for… I’d check out Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and a whole lot of other online websites.

There’s a lot of valuable info out there already.

2017 and up have good reliability records.The 2016 model year should be avoided because it has the most complaints.

Kind of an unrealistic laundry list. I think of crossover utility vehicles as practical not zippy and fun to drive.

I am checking those sources as well, can’t hurt to get actual opinions from real owners, that’s why I put the question here.

Thanks for your input

Thanks… I appreciate your input. My wife loves her 2010 Corolla by the way…I assume you like Corolla’s

You might search for a Mazda owners forum, lots more of them there than here. But the CX5 is at the top of my list, next time I’m car shopping.

A friend has a 2018 Mazda CX-5. It has proven very reliable with heavy use including camping requiring driving down unpaved roads. For a compact vehicle it has generous cargo space, fairly good driver visability, and decent ride. It gets good gas mileage.

As both a passenger in the CX-5 and having extensively test driven several I have found it one of the better smaller SUV / crossovers. It’s center of balance is such it doesn’t sway and it handles well on curves and turns, is easy to get in and out of, and the rear cargo area has easy access and use.

The engine seems smoother and quieter and the vehicle has less cabin noise than most compacts of any type.

I personally still prefer a midsize sedan but will say that the Mazda CX-5 made my short list the last time I was car shopping and would definitely be on my short list if I had to replace my car.

My daughter had a CX-5 for about four years. She sold it to her cousin when they wanted something larger for their growing family. She liked it a lot.

THANKS… much appreciated.

That is some GOOD info… I’m excited to test drive one tommorrow!!!

Sorry with the rapid increase of Covid 19 cases caution should be your key word , not excitement .

1 Like

Thanks…:cry::cry:

Mine is a 2012…same as your wife, only a few cosmetic changes since 2010.

With some fresh air to start and some hand sanitizer, I think test-driving is a pretty low-risk activity, as long as the salesman doesn’t tag along.

1 Like

YEP… That’s exactly how it went for us today. Salesman stayed behind and we really tested the CX-5. It was cool, the Grand Touring is for sure the trim level I want, at 6’2’ 250 I felt okay in the drivers seat, only because of the multiple auto seat and steering wheel adjustments.

Did you drive the Grand Touring Reserve with the turbo engine? It not only is more powerful and more fun, it is much quieter since the 2.5 turbo has a lot more torque and does not rev as high as the normally aspirated engine. If I was going to spring for a CX5 GT I would definitely move up to the GTR for the turbo. The move to the Signature model is not worth the money, in my opinion.

I currently own a 2018 Mazda6 GTR with the turbo engine which is a blast to drive. My previous car was a 2014 Mazda6 with the normally aspirated engine and it was peppy, but nowhere near as much fun as my 2018. And the 2018 is MUCH quieter.

No … I did not drive the Reserve, we test drove the CX5-GT, it was okay and closer to price range, but I’m not sure about it yet. BUT I went to the Alpha Romeo dealer and test drove 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio…WHOLLY awesome car!!!.. and look at this price: $25,990 with
27,642 miles… check it out @
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/ZASFAKAN0J7B80240

Tell me what you think. So know it’s between The Alpha and the CX-5

You are concerned about what to buy and asking for thoughts on the web ! So why are you even looking at an Alfa at a price that will put you in a new vehicle with warranty.
If Alfa Romero even survives in the US I would be surprised.

1 Like