Ready to move back to an SUV from minivan

I feel like it’s time to say goodbye to my minivan, for many reasons. I had SUVs from the time I was 16 until 4 years ago when I got a minivan (2 kids). We rarely use the extra seats and my kids are past the stage where a lot of the features that I loved with the minivan when they were small are needed. I also commute semi- far to work and the gas mileage on the van is not good.
So opinions on best used mid-size SUV? I am looking for something in the 2014 to 2016 range likely given my budget and wishes. Ideally I will keep it under 18,000. Reasonable gas mileage, handling/maneuverability, reliability, and comfort are high on the priority list. I’m eyeing the Mazda CX-5. What else should I be looking at? Thanks!

1 Like

Hyundai makes good quality products that depreciate a little faster than Toyota or Honda. Something sticks in my mind negative about the first year Mazda CX-5, but I can’t remember what it is. The newer ones are very nice, they handle better but ride tighter than a Honda CR-V.

1 Like

You want good gas mileage and a SUV. Do you not realize those cancel each other out. With the current low interest rates on new vehicles just go to every manufacture web site and use the build your own feature. There are many vehicles in the 18000.00 range . Kia Soul is just one.

Only you can decide if a vehicle is one you want.

The April 2018 Consumer Reports is their annual car issue. Worth a look to get an overview and recommendations of new and used cars: road test scores, reliability ratings, owner satisfaction ratings, etc.

The Mazda CX-5 gets their “best of the best” used car rating for 2013-2016 models (see p. 82-3.) The Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV also consistently get that rating for many years. There are 13 other small SUVs on their best used cars list.

1 Like

My daughter has a 2014 CX-5 Sport and is quite satisfied with it. She got the 2L engine rather than the 2.5L. It has sufficient power unless you really load it down, and it looks like you won’t do that. The advantage of the 2L is much better gas mileage.

1 Like

With 2 kids, I doubt you need either a minivan or an suv. You would get far better gas mileage with a car. People like suv’s because they feel safer in them. Statistically that safety is an illusion. Suv’s and pickup trucks have more rollover accidents. As far as gas mileage , my last Minivan actually got 18 around town and 24 on the road, but I generall get good gas mileage with what I drive. Too many people make the mistake of comparing the gas mileage they get with the EPA sticker of what they want and are disappointed with the mileage on the new one.

Having said all that I think the CX-5 is a nice vehicle, however I think of it as more mini - minivan than suv.

1 Like

You may need to define what you mean by “good” and “reasonable” gas mileage, as well as “mid-size SUV.” The minivans and mid-size SUVs (at least as I define them) get comparable gas mileage. The primary difference is how the space is allocated; I think of SUVs as more favorable to cargo, minivans more favorable to passengers.

If gas mileage is a primary criteria, a sedan could be much better and won’t cost you near as much.

1 Like

I just helped my GF look for a new “SUV”, what we call a crossover. She did buy the 2018 CX-5 after checking out and test driving other brands and she loves it. She came from a crossover that cost 50% more (BMW X3) and the Mazda is better in every way that matters to her. If the style appeals to you, the Honda CR-V is hard to ignore. The new generation is much better in almost every way than the prior generation if you can afford a new one. She didn’t like the old-school wood trim and frumpy look of the CR-V (her opinions). If you want something a bit larger and that may be a good CPO or used vehicle, I’d check out the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Still 2-rows, but much roomier inside than the CX-5. Having tested the prior-generation Mazda CX-9, I would not recommend it. I’d avoid a RAV4 strictly because it scored shockingly low on the important passenger side small overlap test and the older ones are unlikely to have automatic emergency braking, which would be a must have if I were shopping for a family vehicle. I own a Subaru Forester myself, but do not recommend used Subarus due to the ongoing engine defect issue. Good luck! Many great choices out there.

2 Likes

Just a note about fuel economy. Crossovers the size of the CR-V have the same interior passenger space as a midsize sedan like an Accord (102.3 cu ft vs 103). The crossovers get the same fuel economy in 2WD as the sedans and in AWD have very similar fuel economy. Old-school body on frame SUVs, if you are crazy enough to buy one as a family car, are much heavier, much larger and more thirsty (Chevy Tahoe for example). Check out www.fueleconomy.gov. It is simple to compare fuel economy of various vehicles. Crossovers don’t have much of a fuel economy penalty compared to sedans with the same usable space. If any.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re more into CUV’s. The mid-sized CUVs would be something like a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, Kia Sorento/Hyundai Santa Fe or Chevrolet Equinox.

My pick would the Highlander followed by the Pilot. The thing is with those, you’re probably not getting a 2014-2016 model for under $18k. The CX-9 is underrated, and can usually be had a decent price.

Fuel economy for any mid sized-CUV is going to be the same or in most cases slightly worse than a typical minivan.

1 Like

Safety is a factor but a lot of it is about personal preference for SUVs. I hate riding low in cars. Really just dislike it strongly. I much prefer to be higher up.it may be that my family had SUVs all while I was growing up, then j went from my own SUVs to a minivan (also high up). When I had a rental car I really really didn’t like being down so low driving or getting in/out of something so low. Also bending down get get my youngest buckled/unbuckled was unpleasant. I also greatly prefer cargo space to a trunk. Both for cargo and my dog.

1 Like

Hmm ok thanks. I had a 2003 pilot (bought new) until 2010 I think. Then everything decided to crap our on it. I LOVED it new though. I wasn’t sure about something that big but I’m sure the kids would appreciate the space. I eyes the Santa Fe but read about some transmission issues? I’m not sure what years.

1 Like

Thanks for the great info. I wish I could afford a new vehicle! Glad to hear she loves the cx-5. I love the look of it way more than the CR-V, but the CR-V has more rear legroom. What year did the new gen start? Just this year?

1 Like

Some of these new SUV/crossover vehicles have pretty decent milage, at least on paper. My minivan gets about 23 hwy realistically. It’s rated 26 I think. The vehicles I’m looking at are 30-33 on paper for the most part. That’s not too far off from a lot of sedans. And I just really don’t like driving cars. Thanks for the input!

1 Like

It was all-new for the 2017 model year. Here is a review of the prior-generation, which was also a very good vehicle.

With regard to Hyundai and transmission issue, you are right to worry. Howevere, the issues I think you may be referring to are for the smaller Tucson (which is the size of a CR-V). The slightly larger Santa Fe Sport uses a conventional automatic and there are no issues with it that I have heard.

1 Like