ATF+4 Is it all the same?

I am worried about my transmission. I was talking to a friend I’ll call Mr. Mopar. He insists that the ONLY real ATF+4 is genuine Mopar. I just changed my filter and put 5 quarts of parts house ATF+4 in my van. Am I in trouble?

…not if it meets the requirements described in your owner’s manual. The type of transmission fluid is what matters, not necessarily the brand.

Chrysler does not make transmission fluid; they specify it from the makers of a wide range of fluids. As mentioned, put in the TYPE of fluid specified in your owner’s manual; you will find many brands of fluid in a car store that meet your spec.

I’m assuming you have a Chrysler product. Years ago I had a Dodge and it said to put “Chryco oil” in the crankcase. Pure nonsense, since the oil spec was one that every other car maker used.

Your friend is ill-informed, has brainwashed himself, and is an advertising man’s dream, since he believes what he is told and does not bother to find out what is behind the adman’s claim. If he sells MOPAR stuff, he knows he is lying to you.

There are some rare machines that require the EXACT fluid that the manufacturer sells. But even Honda transmissions, which have a special fluid spec, can use fluids from a variety of suppliers.

But even Honda transmissions, which have a special fluid spec, can use fluids from a variety of suppliers.

Just to expand on that, my Honda Civic owner’s manual says I can use either Honda manual transmission fluid or 10W-30 motor oil in the manual transmission. I think Honda MTF is just synthetic 10W-30 based on the price.

EVERY manufacturer does this. They all say to use THEIR oil OR one that meets their specifications. Some companies like Honda…there are very oils that meet their standards…so it’s tough to find.