Tranny Fluid: ATF+4 vs. Dexron

I own a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 liter straight 6, with 96,000 miles. I occasionally use it for local towing of my boat during the summer, and, although the automatic transmission performs flawlessly, I wanted to have a flush and fill performed on the transmission, per the owner?s manual, as a maintenance/preventative measure. Through some research, I?m aware that Chrysler has issued a Technical Service Bulletin specifying ATF+4 transmission fluid in its automatic transmissions. A couple shops that I have inquired with have informed me that they ?make? ATF+4 by adding Lubeguard to Dexron. Now, if Chrysler has issued a TSB specifying ATF+4, it seems that Dexron or Mercon, (which, if used alone, would damage the transmission), should not be used at all, even with the dubiously added ?fix? of Lubeguard. I?ve even heard that Lubeguard markets their product to these shops as a ?conversion fluid? to save the shop money so they don?t have to inventory multiple fluids. Will this practice harm the apparently oil-sensitive transmission in my vehicle? In addition, is it recommended that the filter be changed when the transmission is flushed, also?

Absolutely change the filter.

Yes I know of lubegard’s fluid modifier products. I’d suggest finding a shop that stocks the reccomended fluid type and using that.

-Matt

If it were my Jeep, I’d follow Chrysler’s requirement. I have a '98 Grand Cherokee and will put nothing but “real” ATF+4 in it. Don’t trust additives to “create” ATF+4 from Dextron.

Sorry, I mean Dexron, not Dextron.

The short answer is “absolutely do not use anything but genuine ATF+4” It is expensive, but you will destroy the trans with anything else.

You can read more about this at allpar.com, There are some excellent forums and tech articles about your trans.

I wouldn’t chance it. A transmission is a very expensive piece of equipment to try cutting corners with.

You would do well to find a place that actually stocks ATF+4. Using this “made” stuff really sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You can buy your own ATF +$ from walmart or autozone/pepboys and take it in. Just watch and make sure that they will use your ATF and the mech doen’t go to their tank just out of habit.

I meant ATF +4, it is more pricey though!