Anyone remember these car accessories? 45 rpm in-dash record player?

http://blog.allstate.com/awesome-or-atrocious-4-bizarre-car-accessories-that-used-to-be-cool/?intcid=ILC-Internal-Search-Results-120808:atrocious:result%201#.UJAuPG81lXE

I remember a car with the gas cap behind the license plate. Somewhat awkward bending down and opening it and I wondered if the gas tank could be filled completely.

I Was There.
When My Sister And I Were Teen Agers, She Bought A Brand New 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible, Yellow/Black, 4-Speed On The Floor, And Had A 45 RPM Underdash Record Player Installed.

That car was a blast to drive. By the day’s standards, the handling was excellent. ( The roll-over problems with the swing axles were resolved by 65 in Corvairs, although my bug still had a swing axle.). Top down, running through the gears with that 110hp and records blaring was fun.

I recall that it only skipped on large bumps as the arm on the phonograph had extra tension to make it feasible for in-car use. I remember the normally black records getting a white dust appearance from the lathing action of the needle. It had an automatic play feature that allowed for stacking records. Mowtown and maybe Dave Clark Five and some other favorites were really boss.

Re-Verbs were big at that time, too. Anybody have one in their car ?

CSA

I remember the hidden gas caps very well. I have owned several '57 Bel Air’s so I’m familiar with them. My brother had a record player in his vehicle. It was an aftermarket (RCA) I think. He also had a “4 Track” tape player in the same car. They were the only ones I have ever seen. I think the 4 track was a “Muntz.” My uncle (local policeman) had a 1950 Studebaker with a third headlight. It was either an aftermarket or a Studebaker option. He kept the car until he died. I tried to buy it from my aunt but she had already sold it to a local collector.

My Dad Had a Turquoise/White Two-Tone 1956 Chevy With The Gas Cap Hidden In The Tail Light.

My wife and I owned several cars with the gas filler behind the hinge-down license plate. Those big old cars held lots and lots of that 30 cent/a gallon gas, too, but the free drinking glasses or other promotions from the station made up for some of that.

Remember “gas wars” ? The cheapest I remember paying was 18 cents/a gallon for Good Gulf.

Also, you could get your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and even air in tires as a free service !

CSA

My 6-Volt System In My VW Bug Kept Me From Having Many Cool “Electronics,” But When I Got My Brand New 71 Super Beetle (With Sun Roof - $2300 New) I Had In-Dash Motorola FM Stereo And Under-Dash Craig 8-Track Tape Deck And Lots Of Carts !

CSA

The dumbest gas cap location I’ve seen was on the C3 Corvette. Right in the middle of the trunk, so you’re guaranteed to drip gas all across the paintwork, even if you turn the pump upside down while moving it across the car.

Yep, I have a few of those; 68 and 2 69’s. You get good at twisting it upside down and having a rag handy just in case. Made me chuckle to read that. But TRUNK? ;-D

Well. . .“area where the trunk would be if the damn thing had a trunk” sounded too long and unwieldy :wink:

… That said, the C3 bodystyle is still the best looking one they’ve made yet. The C5 came close, but didn’t quite top it.

I had the covered headlights on my Lincoln which were a pain and the license plate gas filler on my Olds. Actually I liked the gas cap behind the plate because it was centered on the back, was a good place to hide a spare key, and didn’t dribble diesel fuel all over the paint.

Those Under The License Plate Filler Necks Really Spew Gasoline When Somebody Fills Up, Forgets To Replace The Gas Cap, And Then Peels Out When Leaving The Gas Station.

CSA

That sounds like personal experience. :wink:

I’m Sure My Wife Has Done That. She Filled Our 74 350 Omega With Diesel, Twice.

CSA

what was her excuse the second time?

Her Excuse Was Postponed For A Couple Of Years Until They Made The Filler Openings Different Sizes For Gasoline And Diesel. Then She Was Atoned.

CSA

I wish I had kept a copy of a JC Whitney catalog from the 60’s. it was full of unusual accessories. Didn’t see the steering wheel spinner in that blog. Had a reverb in one car, a 4/8 track player in another.

Curb feelers.
Toilet paper oil filters for VWs.
Gasoline heaters for air cooled VWs.
Water bags hanging off the front bumper for desert crossings.

Yes, I’ve owned a reverb in the past to go along with the 8 track tape player. The concert hall echo was pretty cool. :slight_smile:

(And I’ve still got that 8 track tape player along with a box of tapes including Creedence Clearwater, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen; early VH.

Why do we have to show how old we are??

I had a caddy with the hidden fill nozzle. Never saw the 45 record player before. I can’t imagine how you could keep it from skipping when driving down the road. Plus car audio systems back then (especially the speakers) were of very poor quality. Jensen was one of the first companies that starting build quality (at least compared to other systems of the time) speakers. But they didn’t come out until the 70’s.

My caddy AM/FM radio actually had scan. It was completely mechanical. And worked just fine.

Shadow, IMHO the C2 'vette was one of the best looking cars ever to ride the road, right up there with the E-Type Jags.

@missileman Your uncle put that third light in himself. The standard 1950 Studebaker had the center “bullet” just for decoration, but it also provided additional air to the radiator. The center piece was easy to take out and replace it with a headlight.

I do not recall any aftermarket light for sale.

Chrysler brought out its highway Hi-Fi player in 1956 and it lasted, I believe, through 1959. The disk was the size of a 45 rpm recording, but that would mean flipping records about every 2 minutes. The Chrysler system spun at 16 2/3 rpm. I remember that many home record players included this 16 2/3 rpm speed at that time.
Heaters were optional at least until the mid 1950s and after market heaters were available even through Sears and Montgomery Ward. The Stewart Warner company offered its South Wind gasoline heater at least through the 1940s.
Other wonderful accesories I remember from the 1940s through the mid 1950s were outside sunvisors over the windshield, venetian blnds for the back window, horns with a keyboard that you could play simple tunes, wolf whistle horns, blue dot tail lights, lighted hood ornaments, fake portholes so you could make any car look like a Buick with fake portholes and “fish tail” tail lights so you could make your 1949-1952 Chevrolet look like a 1949-52 Cadillac.