Blinker fluid was a thing

3 Likes

I remember those day’s.

But where did you put the fluid for the front blinkers? Seriously, mom and dad owned a 1956 Chevy at one time and IIRC it also had the hidden gas cap.

I was a gas jockey when those came out, Chevy was not the only one with a hidden gas cap.

There were no pump your own outlets, at least in our area. Ga stations competed on service more than price. In the area of 25 cent gas, the stations charged a nickel more than they paid.

We checked your oil, cleaned your front and rear window, and asked if you would like the air in your tires checked.

That was GM’s major “engineering” advance for 1956. All of their '56 cars had hidden gas caps.

2 Likes

I always liked to see it hidden behind the license plate, like was on the 1980s Camaros. That way, you could pull up to either side of the pump.

1 Like

Being able to pull up to either side of the pump was nice but it was literally a real pain if the license plate snapped back into place before fingers were clear. I learned early the way to avoid a carnivorous license plate. :grin:

2 Likes

Conversely, it was also a pain in the butt for owners of those cars when the springs failed, and the plate remained parallel to the roadway. More than a few people wound-up getting ticketed for not “displaying” their license plate.

When I was a gas jockey, I wasn’t really fond of having to squat on the ground in order to access those low-lying center fillers in the rear. Yes, it was nice to be able to fill from gas pumps on either side, but that design had its own built-in problems.

2 Likes

I can see how that could be an issue, but I was young during the brief time in the late 1990s when I drove my GF’s Camaro, so I didn’t mind bending over to reach it. If I had to do it now, I’d definitely prefer a more ergonomic placement.

2 Likes

[quote="VDCdriver,
Conversely, it was also a pain in the butt for owners of those cars when the springs failed, and the plate remained parallel to the roadway. More than a few people wound-up getting ticketed for not “displaying” their license plate.

I don’t remember what car it was 60s something chrysler product got a warning ticket when springs failed.

I don’t recall which Mopar models had that feature, but–yes–I do recall some of them with a center-mounted gas filler.

1 Like

They stopped mounting them in the back because it’s a nice way to get blown up when you get hit in the rear.

1 Like

My parents’ 1965 Olds 98 had the gas filler behind the license plate. The first 13 years they had it gas jockies at full service stations wrestled with it. But the last five years we did.

Anyone recall where the gas filler was on a 1956 Olds Rocket 88??? Since I never had to gas up that car I simply don’t remember where that was and I’m coming up blank searching the internet.

I had either a 55 or 56 can’t remember for sure but I seem to remember both body styles being close looking to the other I seem to remember the gas filler on the left fender also the one I had was the golden anniversary edition painted gold and black.

It looks like the '56 Olds might have been GM’s only '56 car that didn’t feature a hidden gas filler.
Just one more reason to like Oldsmobiles!

2 Likes

My memory might not be as bad as I thought.

1 Like

I owned a 56 Cadillac in the waning days of the ‘gas jockey’. I used to get a laugh seeing how long it would take before I had to get out and show them (for the most part teenagers) where the fuel goes in.
That car ran best on premium and I can remember being outraged at having to pay 64 cents a litre (roughly 2.40 a gallon Cdn) in the early oughts just before I sold it.

@VDCdriver Yes! Then my hazy memory I doubted was right. After all the talk about hidden locations on GM cars of those years I decided I had a faulty memory but couldn’t remember any other location. Nice to know my lousy memory isn’t totally lousy. :grin:

Our '56 Olds 88 was the four door with the center B pillars. Exterior was white and dark gray with gray interior. A decidedly good looking car and quite nice for its era.

1 Like

Picture is of a 56. One of the best versions of a hidden gas cap.

So is this bumper fluid?

2 Likes