When the Chevette Scooter without its back seat came up in discussions in another post, I started thinking about some things that were optional that one would expect to be standard equipment;
- Chevette Scooter lack of a rear seat
- Henry J without an exterior trunk lid
- Ford trucks through 1950 where the right hand windshield wiper was an option
- Bottom line Chevrolets through 1959 where the right hand sun visor was an option
- 1957-58 Studebaker Scotsman where the radio was not a factory option, but the Studebaker dealers weren’t permitted to install a radio. One had to go aftermarket to get a radio.
- On many cars in the 1940s and 1950s, an oil filter was an option.
- On many vehicles in the 1940s through the 1960s, electric wipers were an option if even offered. Vacuum wipers were the norm.
- When electric wipers became the standard, multi-speed wipers were optional on some Ford products. The standard issue had only one speed.
- The lower line Dodge and Plymouth cars through the 1940s did not have a glove compartment lock.
How many other strange lack of features that were optional can you think of?