Another problem

I was driving along 70 MPH and my car loses a little power. The speedometer drops to 0 and bounces around while I am at the same speed. The car starts weaving and I cant keep it going straight. It seems like a lost some sort of control of the steering. I think it is time to contact an attorney. I get letters from them all the time for this car.

Phone or visit a Chevy dealership, and give them your VIN.
Ask them to see if there are any open recalls on your car, and if there are any TSBs that apply to your car. There have been problems reported with the electric power steering on these models, and although there is not yet a recall, they are doing repairs for customers who complain about steering problems.

As to the loss of power and the strange speedometer reading, they could both be the result of a defective VSS. Since your car may still be under warranty, I would suggest complaining about this problem also, in order to–possibly–get free repairs prior to warranty expiration.

I think it’s time to contact…a mechanic !

make, model, year, mileage?

What kind of letters? what do they say?

Here’s an article on steering problems on some GM cars, including the Cruze:

^
Yeah, I posted a link to the same article a few days ago http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2302985/a-new-gm-steering-issue-but-no-recall/p1,
and I was told by one forum member that I apparently expected GM to warrant their cars “forever”, despite the reality that this defect is a potential safety defect, and is present on cars made as recently as 1-2 years ago.

“Forever”???
How about GM simply standing behind a recently-manufactured car that is displaying very real safety-related problems very similar to problems already found on some of their cars that were made 3-5 years ago?

How somebody could rationalize that a car maker should be exempt from legal sanctions for a problem with a nearly-new car–that could easily result in a collision–is almost beyond my comprehension.

I think the forever warranty was related to the NY Times mention of the decade or more old rusty brake line problem.

^
Nope!

@VDCdriver
"Yeah, I posted a link to the same article a few days ago and I was told by one forum member that I apparently expected GM to warrant their cars “forever”, despite the reality that this defect is a real safety defect, and is present on cars made as recently as 1-2 years ago."

I believe that I’m the forum member you are referencing.

“How somebody could rationalize that a car maker should be exempt from legal sanctions for a problem with a nearly-new car–that could easily result in a collision–is almost beyond my comprehension.”

On April 10, when this was originally posted, I read and then on your suggestion, reread the NY Times article looking for enough evidence to agree that GM should issue a recall. I was really looking for mileage on the vehicle, whether or not it had been maintained, etcetera, and when I did not find enough information to indict
GM, I said, [April 10] “Before I demand action, I’ll wait for more info. I could decide a recall is in order.”

I read many articles in NY Times, Rolling Stone, etc. that are not always replete with necessary facts and information and that’s why I said I’d wait a bit. We get folks posting on this site, have you seen them, that claim their car is a “lemon” because they purchased it used with a ton of miles on it and little to no maintenance, and it breaks. They ask if the manufacturer should be held responsible.

[April 11] " I read the Times story (that’s not where I usually get my news) and I read the October 21, 2013 GM TSB pertaining to this issue. Can you tell, based on this story, whether or not this individual had the bulletin performed while the car was under warranty? Have you experienced this steering problem to see if it actually would cause a crash?
I still need more information before I decide that GM should order a recall on this issue. I could be convinced, but I just don’t see the evidence, yet."

Please Mr. Driver, I did not say that GM should be exempt from legal sanctions. They could be fully responsible, I just simply was not furnished enough info in the NY Times piece to make an immediate decision that the crash in the article was caused by GM.

CSA

When A Few Several Accidents Occur Involving Certain Makes, Models, Model-Years, (And Whether Or Not All Some Of The Accidents Were Caused By A Defect), Leads To A Recall, Owners Of Similar Vehicles That Were Involved In “Accidents” Pile On.

Take a look at (I believe Toyota) run-away throttle or loose floor mats, or GM Ignition keys (A recall that applies to 2 of my cars that I haven’t done because I think it’s silly), and people come out of the woodwork to get in line to blame the manufacturer (Some Justified, Some Not) and join a class-action lawsuit, whether or not the recalled cars caused their losses.

I look at these claims cautiously. My ignition keys are fine, by the way.

CSA

“I was really looking for mileage on the vehicle, whether or not it had been maintained, etcetera.”

If we are talking about 2013 and 2014 vehicles, what does their odometer mileage have to do with a manufacturer not being held accountable for a problem that could easily lead to a crash?

And, equally importantly…What type of maintenance do you expect a car owner to have performed regarding electrically-assisted power steering? Does GM actually specify maintenance for this component?

Was The Particular Vehicle In The Article Maintained Properly Regarding Tire Wear, Wheel Alignment, Tire Pressure, Front Suspension/Steering Wear (Caused By Higher Mileage) Or Damage, Car In Previous Accident(s), Properly Repaired, Any Previous Steering Issues Covered By GM Warranty (& TSBs) Not Performed, (etcetera)?

Was there black ice, white ice, 40mph gusty cross-wind, alcohol involvement, construction zone and uneven pavement, altered lanes, speeding, aged driver? I can’t tell from the article.

Police arrive on the seen in many collisions and often hear many different versions of what caused the accident. Sometimes the driver isn’t even aware of the actual cause. Vehicles are likely scapegoats as they can not always talk back.

Again, as I said from the very beginning, several days ago, this could have been the fault of GM and they need to issue a Recall, but I really don’t know that based on the article that was referenced and I read and reread and re-reread the story.

CSA