Ac/heat stopped working

Honda Accord 04 LX… Ok so out of nowhere my ac and heat stopped working(been a few months) I’d say at least 3 months. So the mechanic that I took the shop to, who I will never go back to, that there are 2 separate things. Like there something for the ac and something for the heat. Now my mechanic who I would go to for anything is so hard to get a hold of, but he said I should just get my refrigerant charged… So I’m just trying to ask around. Is there 2 sperate things that control each setting? Or could it be a bigger problem seeing it stopped out of nowhere. I also have never changed my cabin air filter. Only took out once and blew of the debris. Any advice on how to get my ac/heat working again without breaking the bank? And should I change my cabin air filter a s.a.p?

Yes, you should change your cabin filter.

Yes AC and heat are different systems that come together in the ductwork to provide you with heat or cool.

From your description and lack of info about your car and the problem, I can’t suggest what might be wrong.

1 Like

That’s a vague statement.
The blower work?

Can’t get cold air?

Can’t get warm air?

Need more than, “Stopped working.”

Tester

2 Likes

+1 for both above…

Remove the cabin air filter (caf)), if everything works then you found your problem (but dought it), if it still doesn’t work then not your problem…

The one main thing that the AC and Heat have in common is the blower motor and it’s controls/circuit…

Your car’s heater uses heated engine coolant to warm the air that is blown into the cabin, while the air conditioner uses freon driven by the compressor, combined with both high pressure and low pressure lines, and many other components.

This is how the A/C refrigerant cycle works:

1. The refrigerant leaves the compressor as a high-pressure vapor.
  2. Next, the refrigerant travels to a radiator-type device called the condenser The condenser dissipates some of the system heat into the atmosphere, causing the refrigerant to change from a vapor to a liquid.
  3. From there, the refrigerant enters a metering device (either an orifice tube or an expansion valve). The metering device reduces system pressure and regulates the flow of refrigerant into another radiator-type component, called the evaporator.
  4. The blower motor blows air across the evaporator (which is now cool) and directed into the cabin.
  5. After leaving the evaporator, the refrigerant heads back to the compressor.

Here’s how the heater works:

1. The engine thermostat (rad and rad fan(s) etc) controls the temperature of the coolant.
  2. The water pump causes the hot coolant to circulate from the engine to the heater core.
  3. When the driver turns on the heater, the blower motor forces air across the heater core, transferring warmth from the coolant into the cabin.
    4.Note:* Some vehicles also have a heater control valve that controls coolant flow into the heater core.
  4. The coolant then leaves the heater core and returns to the engine.

What the Cooling & Heating Systems Have in Common

The housing usually contains the A/C evaporator, heater core, blower motor, and most of the air distribution doors. A molded plastic distribution section and inlet section connect to either end of the housing.

Airflow through the system is controlled by three or more doors, including the air inlet door, blend door, and mode door.

• The air inlet door is used to select outside or recirculation air.

• The blend door adjusts the air temperature by routing air through the evaporator core, heater core, or both. As was mentioned, on some vehicles, a heater control valve is also used to regulate temperature.

• The mode door controls the air discharge location (floor, upper body, etc.).

Do you think it’s a good idea to breathe in mold and spores and whatever else might be growing in your filter? If not, then replace it.

2 Likes

Ok I’ll definitely change it this week. Thanks.

Thank you for the breakdown haha.

1 Like

I’m sorry. Im just saying like literally nothing works. There is no air blowing at all on any setting. No cold air no hot air. This actually happened to me before but it was literally only for a few hours then everything worked fine after a few hours. This happened about a year and half ago or at most 2 years ago. But now it’s just dead. I got nothing.

Sorry I wasn’t more detailed I’ll make sure to be better next time I post thank you

When you checked the fuse box for the HVAC blower, you didn’t find a blown fuse?

You just posted several times and still told us nothing about your Honda Accord… at least tell us the model year and miles on it.

2 Likes

First, no need to reply individually, all of see your replies, just hit the red reply button.
Yes, check your fuses, it seems you are describing that your blower motor is not running. Can you hear it run?
In my opinion neither mechanic is any good. First mechanic “ Like they’re something for the ac and something for the heat.” Second mechanic “ just get my refrigerant charged”, just how did he arrive at that diagnosis?

1 Like

Honestly I’m a noob with cars. I wouldn’t have thought to check a fuse, but I definitely will now

The blower motor is not working. There is generally no A/C or heater plumbing involved with a fan motor repair.

Have you taken over for Volvo V70 with policing the threads? I saw a misspelled work this morning.

It was a phone call, there was no diagnostic fee.

1 Like

Well the first one told me that when I told him about none of them blowing any air. The second one just assumed I guess.

Does not sound like a phone call.

No I don’t hear anything running although I live in a loud area. Might have to find a quiet place to see if I hear anything

I did say it was a 2004 Honda Accord LX. It has 126,000 plus miles on it

I don’t trust doctors usually so no haha

That was for Nevada…lol. I have changed my reply to him.