Heater/fan nothing coming out

Honda Accord LX 2.4 liter engine. 220000 miles.

So when I go to turn on my ac/heater it does nothing. Every time I change a setting it sounds like a boom box with a 6 CD changer where it sounds like it’s shifting to another CD if that makes sense. Could something be clogged or does this sound like something else, not sure anyone has ever had this issue. But if I decide to get it checked would this cost me the same as a full car diagnostic test?

Sounds like a electric motor that controls the flow of air is broken. Could be an esay replacement, could be difficult depending on how much of the dash needs to come out.

As to whether you pay a diagnostic fee and how much that might be would be a total guess on our part. We don’t know your shop nor your location. I suggest you pick up the telephone to call and ask the shop you intend to use. You’ll get much better info from them than us.

4 Likes

Thank you for that info. Yeah I’ll call and see what they tell me.

This might give you an idea of appx how much shop work is involved. It’s possible the blower motor is ok, but the cage-area is clogged with debris that has been sucked in via the fresh air vents under the windshield on the outside. Once you get it repaired, suggest to vacuum that area of any debris that accumulates every once in a while. I do that as routine maintenance at the same time I change-out the engine oil . .

1 Like

If the blower works tell them you think it might be a stuck damper. Just like your home hvac system, you may have a damper that opens and closes to let air flow. If it doesn’t open in your car, no air will flow or may just direct it to the defrosters.

Ok I’m definitely gonna look into all this. Appreciate the info fellas as always

Just some sage advice:

Never tell a dealer service center or regular garage mech. what “you think” the problem is on a car.

Just tell them what you told us in here, about the noise, lack of functionality(heat). Mechanics usually have a step-by-step process(developed either by the manufacturer, or their own methodology) of diagnosing such things.

And take care of that Accord! They’re great cars. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have no fan on vent or defrost also?

@Cavell nope nothing. Only makes a noise sounds like something is clogged, but that’s just my theory. I know nothing about cars sadly. I turn the knobs and just makes like a sound like something is loading or whatever but yeah no heat no cold and no defroster working. every time I turn the knob once it makes s click sound and also my fans are running when I turn on the heat/ac

Still not clear. Does the fan work or not. First you say nothing, then you say the fan is on. Don’t have to know anything about cars to know if the blower comes on.

In reference to calling a shop, pretty had to get any idea by just saying it doesn’t work.

Fan motor? Maybe.
Fan blower control? Maybe.
If the vent/dash selector is working you might feel a little air from vents at highway speed. Not much around town.
Do you have cabin air filter?

OP may be referring to the engine compartment fans. They’ll often turn on automatically with the AC.

Or look at that little icon on the dash to see if the little blades are turning. When legal talk was on the radio, just about every question was answered by see a lawyer. In this case see a mechanic. Nothing is to be gained from this discussion.

Some good obtained , at least for me. I was reminded to clean my Corolla’s clean air hvac intake vents, just did that job this morning, and what with all the falling leaves, they definitely needed cleaning :slight_smile:

Well the fans in front of the car use to spin last time I tried they didn’t. And I’m saying it sounds like the blowers are running and seem like they’re are stuck or something.

Yes I have a cabin sir filter and when I’m driver it does seem like cold is coming through but they’re are off during driving could that be just regular air from the outside because I always have the ac off since it’s not working

What little icon? Right pass the steering wheel correct? Never thought of looking there didn’t e en know I would be able to see the blades turning or not I’ll have to check

Do all cars have this clean air HVAC intake system?

In one way or another, on most vehicles it is under the hood, just below the windshield. I vacuum the leaves out before going through the car wash. But that is not your problem.

That problem was answered by Mustangman a week ago.

If you can hear the roar of the blower motor, you wouldn’t be able to hear the mode door actuator changing position, the vehicle must be quiet to hear that. Does the sound of the blower motor change as you adjust the speed?