A Second Childhood Car

My SIL (Son-in-law) announced several months ago that he was buying an early 1990’s NSX. It was on sale in NY state. It took quite a while to get it.

It is in great shape, and it’s red as red can be. I didn’t ask but have reason to assume he paid $41,000 for it. And, shipping to his door (actually they had to unload it across the street in the wal-mart parking lot, because the driver knew he could not get the two trailers in and out of the development, but it was very close) was another $1800.

When he went to DMV to register it, he pretty much shut down the office. The official looked at the paperwork and said, “Wow! It’s an NSX.”

So, other officials came running and he showed them the photo in his phone. Most of them said, “It’s Mr. Wolf’s car!”

He told me it was rated to run 180 mph, but says he won’t run it over maybe 100.

I teased him that it was a second childhood car. He laughed and did not deny it. He is a great guy, and I am glad he is my daughter’s husband. He takes real good care of them all.

It is parked inside his two stall garage, and his not very old Odyssey is parked outside in the rain and hail and dust.

That’s the thing about $41,000. It’s his. If he’d rather have an NSX than $41,000, that’s up to him I guess.

Do you ever read those classic car magazines, where folks buy older cars and fix them up to like new condition? They’ll easily pay $40 or $50 k in parts and labor and never look back. I was reading the other day of one account – I think it was a 1969 Datsun 240 Z – where the labor itself for the restore had already run to 1000 hours. And it wasn’t quite done yet.

Restoring or owning a classic car isn’t about money. It can’t be. It’s about having something you want. Everything has a cost, a price, and sometimes it figures in to whether you get what you wan and sometimes it doesn’t. I guarantee that in the end, the cost/benefit analysis of whether or not we should have children would mean the end of the human race. :smiley:

It’s often said that when restoring an old car you can calculate the final market value as half of the cost of the parts and none of the labor.

Look at it this way @GeorgeSanJose you can go out and buy a nondescript family hauler off the lot tomorrow for $40K, or you can buy something you really like and want. And if you are able to afford both, why not treat yourself?

I fully agree @asemaster !! You make total sense.

Oh, btw, that 240 Z? It’s already been in the shop 3 years … lol …

I’d love to find a nice early NSX some day, in high school (around 1991) one of the students would be dropped of every day by his dad in a red NSX,

That same year our orchestra teacher bought a new Miata along with shaving off the beard, his wife had a good sense of humor about the second childhood. He still had the 1955 Chevy Bel Air sedan and the wife’s Volvo wagon for more practical use. If it makes you happy then why not?

Does anybody know who “Mr Wolf” is? Is that a tv show character?

I am not sure who Mr. Wolf was, but yes, from something he said it is a tV or movie character.

This NSX is in nearly perfect condition. No real work needed. And, yes, he is taking care of his family first, not last. He saved his money and he got that car with it. Good man. My daughter trusts him completely. When he announced his plan, her only question was, “Are you sure you can make it work?” When he said yes, that was the end of that discussion.

In 19 years of marriage, they have had exactly zero angry quarrels. She is a real peach of a wife. Big two story house on a golf course, paid for within 10 years, and every inch of it was designed on his computer. When people enter the house, they ALWAYS ask if it is for sale. He has taught computer design in high school so is a pro.

"He is a great guy, and I am glad he is my daughter’s husband. He takes real good care of them all."
Do you have any idea how blessed you are??? And you’re complaining because he spent some of his money on an NSX??? You should be getting down on your knees, giving thanks for your good fortune in having him for a SIL, complimenting him, and asking for a ride!

So what if his Odyssey is parked outside. Is that a problem? No offense meant, but I cannot understand why you posted. Did you have a question for us?

Mr. Wolf is a character from the movie “Pulp Fiction.” He is a “cleaner” of sorts. He makes problems disappear.

A great car, they’re becoming more valuable all the time. And not crazy money, that’s Odyssey money.

Harvey Keitel as The Wolf, with Julia Sweeney;

TSM. I did not complain at all. Any ‘complaint’ in my posting came in your own imagination, not in anything I said. This is a car forum, and I duly reported something that happened within my family that I thought would be interesting to the people here. The comments show it was interesting to most.

He is a great guy, a great husband, a great father, and a great son-in-law, and I am glad he was able to fill his second childhood fantasy. A lot of men envy him. My daughter was also happy he could make it work without problems for the family. She is a peach!

My own Second Childhood dream was to move to Mexico and I did that, nearly 18 years ago. I expect to live there until I die. I do fasten my seat belt when I come to the USA.

Also, I know of no rule which says the discussion thread must include a question. Perhaps a memory foam pillow will help you wake in a better mood? Sam’s Club has good ones at modest price, though many stores sell them.

The NSX has a reputation as a Ferrari that can be an everyday driver. The engine should be similar to the Odessey engine, but a couple generations earlier.

IN Mr. Mountainbikes defense when I read ( second childhood ) $ 41000.00 - $1800.00 delivery - Odyssey parked outside - I also assumed your were voicing disapproval. Apparently we both misunderstood so relax.

I just figured the OP was bored, wanted to shoot the breeze in a car related topic, and perhaps brag about his SIL a little. Nothin’ wrong with that. Maybe we’re supposed to mention our second childhood cars.

Me, (and I’m not sure why) I thought if I ran across a 1970’s vintage Ford Country Squire Station Wagon in really good condition, I’d be hard pressed not to buy it. Boy I’m a wild one, huh? But I remember in my childhood riding around with my father in his '76 Country Squire.

Naw, My Pillow is the best. On sale at the home show, two for $109. So far so good.

I suspect there may be a garage addition in the future to get them both inside.

I always look for 1960 Morris Minors and this month in Hemmings there were two of them. Once faced with it, I decided its much better to look at them than own one though. I wish my neighbor would buy one.

The first generation Acura NSX is one of my favorites. When we moved in December 1994 the neighbor across the street had a Corvette ZR-1 which was visible when the garage door was open. He was a professional rock drummer and on tour with Ozzy Osbourne at the time. When he returned 3 months later I found he was a super nice car guy. He gave me a ride in the Corvette. Holy Crap! About a month later the Corvette was replaced by an Acura NSX. He let me drive it around the neighborhood. It was very easy to drive at low speed with a great clutch and slick shifter. No harder to drive than a Honda Accord. He gave me a ride out on the back roads. What a perfectly balanced automobile! About a year later I had my 1996 Mazda Miata. My very own perfectly balanced automobile.

The house is on a mini-lot and no room for any addition. It really does not hurt a car terribly to be parked outside, unless you plan to keep it many years, or unless you want it to be spotless all the time. Personally, I don’t care much. To make myself unattractive to kidnappers, I don’t wash my car very often. The last time it was spotless and waxed was around 9 years ago, when I was asked to drive the bride and groom from church to their house. I not only cleaned it perfectly inside and out, but during the ceremony stayed by the car and chased spots of dust, common in a quarry town. I have a theory that the thick layer of grime actually protects the paint from the sun, heh, heh.

My 2002 Sienna has been parked in the mountain sun in Mexico for most of 11 years, and only now is there visible paint damage, mostly on the front end. Older GM cars lose their paint on the roof and hood in very short order. There aren’t many new GM cars there, except the rich guys (or their sons) with Escalades.

When I looked up the approximate value of that NSX it said $41,000. I realized later that they were probably simply reporting the last known sale, since there may not be a lot moving in any given time. I do not ever expect this one to be sold again. The 9 year old has been told it will be his someday, but not soon.

Analyses of my motives for sharing a car tale of obvious interest tend to include a lot of projection.

I enjoyed it, thanks for posting. Although it initially seemed to be against the purchase, reading the full posting, it became obvious to me that was not your intent. Thanks for sharing!