A little help removing oil pan Please

What all is required to remove the oil pan on a '99 Ford Ranger with 3 liter engine and 4 wheel drive?? Do I have to raise the engine? Or take the exhaust down? Or what?

According to Mitchell on Demand, all that has to be done along with removing the transmission.

Tester

Elly, My Information Says You’ll Need To Raise The Engine About 2 Inches After Removing The Right-Hand Brake Caliper And The Right-Hand Axle I-Beam.

It doesn’t mention exhaust. It says to mark and remove the distributor, remove the neg battery cable, motor mount nuts, dipstick, fan shroud (leave the fan shroud over the fan assembly), oil sensor wire, starter, and trans inspection cover, first.

It says the pan is then a tight fit between the trans spacer plate and oil pump pick-up tube, so be careful.

I can’t swear by any of this. Maybe you can eye-ball it.

CSA

According to AllData: “Raise the engine and support with a Three-Bar Engine Support Kit.”

And remove the starter.

Well, none of this is what I wanted to hear, but thanks common sense and goldwing!

Is your pan gasket leaking? If so how much is it leaking? The molded rubber gasket is a pain to deal with from the bottom. Even on a lift it’s a pain.

What do you hope to accomplish by removing the pan??

He has no oil pressure. 4 years ago this happened and it was the oil pump shaft broken.

Well, I got these various answers, “all that has to be done along with removing the transmission. remove the distributor”, “remove the neg battery cable, motor mount nuts, dipstick, fan shroud (leave the fan shroud over the fan assembly), oil sensor wire, starter, and trans inspection cover, first.” “Raise the engine and support with a Three-Bar Engine Support Kit.”

“And remove the starter”. I am a little confused, now

Elly, If You’re Going To Go Ahead And Pull The Pan, Why Not Invest In A Repair Manual ? At Least, How About A Visit To The Reference Section Of Your Library And See If The Folks There Have Reference Manuals That Could help ?

My library lets patrons make copies of the pages they need.

The way I see it is that nobody responding so far recalls removing an oil pan from a Ranger and everybody, including me, is just trying to look it up for you. That’s all we’ve got so far. It looks like we’re getting conflicting information when we look it up.

CSA

Elly, This Falls Under The “Don’t Try This At Home” Category, But I Knew A Woman Who Had An Older Model Bronco . . .

. . . and I guess they were famous for sludge problems. This one had low oil pressure. Turns out the pick - up on the oil pump was all sludged up and so was the pan. I don’t remember if they replaced the pump or not. I think so.

Since it was so difficult to pull the pan on this vehicle they cut a hole in it, did what they had to do in there, and welded it back shut, right on the Bronco ! Sounds dangerous, but the thing ran for the rest of its relatively short life.

CSA

We had a similar situation with a Ford Bronco, similar to CSA. We pulled the engine out. Wound up doing an overhaul, new rings, bearings, valve job, etc.