A little Car Talk humor on a topic we love to hate - Extended Warranties!

No that’s NOT the point. Spoofing has been allowed by the phone companies for decades. This is to benefit businesses. Businesses here in the US do not want this practice to end. It doesn’t matter that the spoofing is now being used from foreign countries want to use it too. Blocking them means blocking US businesses from doing it.

When we implement this in the US (at least for VOIP) we will still have problems with connections from countries that do no.

Not that I know a whole lot about it, but there are phone numbers and phone numbers. When we threw out Bell and bought our own telephone system, we were assigned a bank of about 1000 numbers that we could assign to whatever phone we wanted. However, this was just for the computer. We had incoming and outgoing trunk lines that actually carried the external communications. So tracing a call traced it back to the trunk line not the actual phone it came from. Internally we could trace what phone used what trunk but it was all internal to the internal phone switch.

So I’m just not sure how you would block trunk lines being used from a switch that can pretty much assign any outgoing phone number they want in the computer. This has gotten even more complicated with cell phones now and cheap telecommunications equipment.

True…but this comes back to the question I asked earlier…How many phone calls do you answer from a foreign country? I don’t. And there’s ways of blocking those numbers also. Detecting incoming robo-calls into a network isn’t difficult either. Block those numbers also.

Will we get to zero unwanted calls? No…But we can block well over 95% of those unwanted calls that are occurring now…that’s damn good.

Nor do I, but spoofing almost always makes those calls appear to be coming from within one’s own area code. Unfortunately, I have reached the limit on the number of calls that I can block (200??) on my home phone, so at least once a month I get a call–in Mandarin–informing me that I have a problem with
(pick one)…
… my entry visa to the US (I am a US citizen)
… my bank account (At a bank where I don’t do business)

Of course, I don’t answer these calls, but they do wind up on my answering machine. Because a friend of mine speaks Mandarin fairly well, he has been able to translate these annoying calls for me.

1 Like

I don’t think we are really disagreeing at this point. :wink:

It was interesting this morning I got a call and on the display was “possible spam”. Maybe its been there before but I never noticed it. You can’t pay attention to the phone numbers anymore so this was interesting.

Clarification: On the land line phones

On my cell phone, most of those calls appear as “Spam Likely”, but not on my landline.

This was on the land line.