A little Car Talk humor on a topic we love to hate - Extended Warranties!

I maintain that it’s still not easy to do, even if it does come down to money. In some ways, it’s no different than if the companies weren’t making any revenue from the spammers, but the fix was super costly; either way, you’re talking about the telecom companies giving up a huge chunk of $$$ that they currently have. While I think a good amount of that is going into the executives’ pockets, I’d wager to bet that this revenue is at least partially supporting other areas within the company. So untangling this will have a ripple effect and/or potential job losses

And if you know all of this, then scores of lawmakers and policy wonks do as well; if a simple policy/law/executive action could be passed without significant broader impacts, then we’d have it already…this is an issue that bridges most party gaps in professional politics.

To make things worse one of my childhood friends owns a robocall company. He is doing very well, always on his yacht, posting pics.

1 Like

That’s with every product sold in the US. Companies have to make a choice between ethics and profit. But I stand by my earlier statement that the technology to stop this is trivial. I know for a fact it is…Most of the services we sell are to foreign countries. And in most countries the phone system is owned by the government. The technology is being used today by many other countries. It’s there and proven to work.

I can’t speak to the political or law aspect of it. All I ever said was the technology is trivial to stop it…and it’s trivial.

Yep, we are running our phone system “digitally” and I needed to downsize the SIP trunks as COVID started… so, I was pleasantly surprised how much additional “spammers prevention” precautions my SIP provider is taking nowadays… but I bet it’s a mixture of good providers like that and the ones who does not care or worse

I have VOIP and the ISP provides call blocking, but only for 50 numbers.

Xfinity only lets you block 25 numbers, but then NomoRobo usually keeps the calls to a minimum.

I stopped answering the phone 25 years ago.

1 Like

Century Link still does.
My mother gets mailings for extended warranties on her car. She never learned to drive and were she alive she would be 119. Have tried to get them to warranty my '37 Chev under her name but they don’t seem to be too interested .

I told one of these jokers I had a 1928 Porter (that’s my mother dear). He asked if I had a newer car, so I hung up.

1 Like

Next time I will tell them I have a 2020 Henway.

2 Likes

About 3 pounds.

2 Likes

I told them that I have a 2002 Rolls–Canhardly.
When they asked for clarification, I told them that “it rolls downhill just fine, but it can hardly make it up the next hill”.

When the guy seemed confused by my response, I told him that I was very happy to have wasted a few minutes of his time, so that he could scam fewer people that day.

5 Likes

Ok I’ll bite
How would you do it? Filtering alone would not work. I would think associating phone numbers with an account and no allowing spoofing would go a long way. Maybe a private key encryption for the originating #

I’m feeling pretty lucky. The bank in Nigeria is holding 4 1/2 million dollars for me. All I have to do is send then $120. I said I can’t raise that much but take it out of the 4.5 million and send me the rest, and give yourself a $50 tip. Not. Just blocked them. Hope this isn’t starting again. At least I’m not getting any more letters from Russian brides.

2 Likes

Is your current one getting jealous? :smile:

1 Like

Something very similar to this is used around the world.

1 Like

And that should be implemented soon in the US for IP phone nets.

Today’s Order requires all originating and terminating voice service providers to implement   STIR/SHAKEN in the Internet Protocol (IP) portions of their networks by June 30, 2021, a     deadline that is consistent with Congress’s direction in the recently-enacted TRACED Act.  
The FCC laid the groundwork for these new rules when it formally proposed and sought public    comment on mandating STIR/SHAKEN implementation in June 2019.

However ‘around the world’ ? Since most spam originates ‘around’ the world we should be so lucky. Gonna sign up for norobo soonest or maybe just buy a warranty …

Do you answer your phone when it says call from India or Iran? I sure as hell don’t. The issue is that these foreign callers are SPOOFING a local number. That’s the biggest problem and it can easily be solved. Once they stop the spoofing and the robocalls generated in the US (which there still are) then the problem is solved.

I moved but kept my cell phone with the old area code. Almost all the calls I now get from the old area code that are not friends are urgent second notices for my car warranty. So the Robo’s know to use my old area code and I know to ignore

My point exactly. Does India implement this?