A convertible in Minnesota?

I have a 2004 Sebring convertible, vinyl top. We are moving from Florida to Minnesota and my husband says the vinyl won’t hold up in the cold, and the heater won’t warm up the car enough. I really want to enjoy those few days of summer we will have and want to keep the car. How do convertibles do in the winter?

The vinyl will hold up and the heater will heat the car. Those roofs are multilayer with insulation.

However, convertibles do tend to develop wind leaks. And take it from someone who lived in North Dakota for three years, a wind leak at -20 degrees F is a real pain.

Modern convertibles are fine in the winter. Or you can just drop it off at my house when you move, ;0)

If you’ve never driven in snow, you’re in for a “treat”. Get a set of real winter tires, and practice in an empty parking lot after the first snow.

I’m not sure if this is still an issue with modern convertibles, but I’ve seen older convertible tops collapse in heavy snow. Mountainbike is right about the wind leaks, too, which can lead to your car being full of snow after a good storm. I’d say if you can park it inside definitely keep it but if you’ll have to park it outside I’d perhaps consider selling it in Florida.

I think the real question is, how many days during the year will I be able to drive around with the top down in Minnesota? And with the weather we’ve been having so far, not many!

Tester

It actually gets pretty warm up there in the summer. All three weeks.

Of course you can drive a convertible in Minnesota! Did you ever see a snowmobile with a roof? ;’)

Oh yeah, and during those three weeks you’ll need a fly swatter for the mosquitoes.

you’ll need a fly swatter for the mosquitoes

More like shovels.

Nope, but in Maine, the state once considered seat belts!

Let’s see. A convertible in Minnesota. Plus the costs of (aforementioned) real snow tires, maybe studded snows, a snowmobile suit for each passenger, an auxiliary heater, etc. Oh, and the four seasons? winter, winter, winter, and 4 weeks of road construction. (Tongue-in-cheek, of course!). (Former convertible owner in Southern N.H. Had about the same seasons, too!). You might not need a new fly swatter as I’m sure that you’ve experienced the bug situation prevalent in Florida—just might need a bigger swatter, like the previously-mentioned snow shovel.