Convertible vs. road salt and snow

My wife and I are considering driving from Florida to New Hampshire to visit my parents over Christmas. Our carriage will be an '06 VW Convertible Beetle. She’s is great shape, but she’s never been out of the Florida. Wondering how much damage road salt might be to the convertible top? From what I read, too much sun is actually worse for convertible tops, which is ironic. Any thoughts?

Southwest Airlines would be my choice for this trip. They fly to Manchester NH from many places in FL. Traffic on I-95 during the Christmas season is an avoidable horror.

Gifts to send? UPS or FedEx.

When you get home, put the car through a thorough washing and you should be fine. Last time I visited the Great White North in the winter, I even went so far as to use garden sprinklers under the car to make sure everything under there got rinsed.

Just wash it really well when you get home and everything will be fine. One trip through the road salt won’t do any damage to the car or the top.

And if you’re here longer then a week…then take it to one of the local car washes…I wash my truck and wifes car about once a week here in NH.

I would take Mieich’s advise. Buy your tickets NOW…I-95 is starting to look like a Road Warrior movie set…Travel over “The Holidays” has become a nightmare…

I would take Mieich’s advise. Buy your tickets NOW…I-95 is starting to look like a Road Warrior movie set…Travel over “The Holidays” has become a nightmare…

I haven’t traveled I-95 south of CT in years…Didn’t think it was that bad.

As for here in NE…Unless you’re going to the Portsmouth/Coast area…you turn off of 95 in CT and then take 84 to I-90 then 495 to Rt-3 or I-93…thus bypassing the MA 95/128 area (which is a nightmare to travel).

When I worked as a truck driver not too long ago, I covered every mile of I-95 between Miami and Newark, and as long as you don’t drive through the metropolitan areas, like the DC/Baltimore area, during rush hour, you should be fine. If you have to go through DC during rush hour, just stop for a meal outside DC and wait for rush hour to pass. The I-495 loop (which merges with I-95), turns into a parking lot during rush hour.

You should always avoid I-95 in Jacksonville, FL by taking I-295 or 9A, but even more so now with the current construction project going on in downtown Jacksonville. I like I-295 better than 9A. It has more lanes than 9A south of I-10 and fewer cars than 9A north of I-10.

The I-495 loop (which merges with I-95), turns into a parking lot during rush hour.

Depends on which way you’re traveling through it…If heading north in the morning or south in the evening you’re going against the traffic so it’s not too bad…But if you’re going the same direction…it’s a nightmare…But 95/128 is worse…bumper to bumper 20-30mph for miles and miles.

The chances of snow during Christmas are quite low. Typically places up here have gimmicks if it snows more than X you get Jewerly or Furniture free if you buy in the summer. My home heating oil company does such a thing.

I would not worry much. When you get back home or along the way just have the undercarriage cleaned.

Happy driving if you choose that.