A bent crossmember and holding up the transfer case/transmission

So I recently bought a truck with a leak between the tranny and the transfer case. The guy said is was a seal issue (should have looked closer), anyway turns out it wasn’t. At one point, someone hit a rock and bent the crossmember that holds up the front of the transfer case. This caused the transfer case to get pushed up, and basically created a very skinny V of space between the transfer case and the transmission. So, I would replace the crossmember, but I’m having trouble tracking one down (auto stores and dealerships don’t have it, might go to a pick n pull or junkyard). Anyway, the problem is the frame is also slightly bent. So, my thought is to put the bent crossmember back in, just with a bunch of steal and rubber washers so that it sits how it should on the transfer case and supports weight, but just hangs down from the frame. What do you think? How much weight do you think is really supported by that thing… The idea being that it doesn’t matter if the crossmember is touching the frame, as long as it’s snug against the transfer case mount, can I hold it up by resting it on the washers/bolts/nuts that hang down from the frame. (The pictures are of the bend in the cross member, the mount of the transfer case, and the space between the frame and the crossmember if I hold the non bent side of the cross member flush with the frame.

“…put the bent crossmember back in, just with a bunch of steal and rubber washers…”

Since it looks like it was originally hard-bolted to the frame, I would just use the biggest steel washers that fit, and divide them among the four bolt holes such that every thing mates up. I’d use grade 7 bolts and you should be good to go.

@Yams, you need to get an unbent one from a salvage yard. The bend in the frame can be beaten back into shape. I have a 24" pipe wrench and a 5 lbs sledge that has helped me in the past with issues like this. Trust me, you’d be happier with a straight crossmember that trying to re-use the bent one.

" At one point, someone hit a rock and bent the crossmember that holds up the front of the transfer case. This caused the transfer case to get pushed up, and basically created a very skinny V of space between the transfer case and the transmission."

There is probably a thin gasket or “O” ring sealing this joint…The bolts that attach the T-case to the transmission may have been bent or broken or one of the gear-boxes case is cracked. I would resolve this issue before you worry about the bent cross-member and frame…This prize truck you found could turn into a real money pit…