'98 Toyota Camry warning Brake Light

Whenever I accelerate to 40mph the brake warning light comes on. It goes off at the next stop but comes back on when I accelerate again. I replaced the battery (solution offered by my son-his 4-Runner did the same thing - battery fixed it). Mine is still doing it. Any causes, solutions??

Check the brake fluid level; NOW. If low that is the cause. Also if low I would make sure there are no leaks of brake fluid too. Otherwise check the switch system on the e brake handle.

Make that a second vote for checking the brake fluid level. A drop in brake fluid level is the result of either a leak in the brake hydraulic system or wear of the brake pads. So, in addition to checking and adding brake fluid, you need to have the brakes checked for a leak and/or for worn brake pads. In other words, don’t just add brake fluid and then fail to go the next step with an examination of the brakes.

(Incidentally, if you take a look at your Owner’s Manual, you will see that it tells you to check the brake fluid level whenever the brake system warning light comes on. Yet another example of the importance of reading the Owner’s Manual!)

(Incidentally, if you take a look at your Owner’s Manual, you will see that it tells you to check the brake fluid level whenever the brake system warning light comes on. Yet another example of the importance of reading the Owner’s Manual!)

I was going to type that up too, just felt it is getting to be too repetitive. We should have a FAQ section.

Since so many people fail to refer to that unused little book, it bears repeating. So, repetitive or not, for many people this just might be a wake-up call to actually open the glove compartment and put that book to the use for which it was intended.

The brake fluid tank is full and the brake pad indicators are not making any noise. The only other thing I can think of is that there is a short in the wiring. Is that a possibility?

I will start looking at the e brake switch, jiggle it and see if it has loose connections or maybe going bad. 2nd place or maybe 1st would be the brake fluid reservoir. The mechanism for detection of low fluid is there and might be malfunctioning. Usually a simple sensor and wire.