98 Civic Ignition Switch problem? (All offered advice appreciated.)

The wiring schematic shows the relay as feeding the fuel pump, the fuel injectors, the Idle Air valve, and also providing several inputs into the PCM.

On the offchance that a relay does not cure the problem, you might consider the ignition switch. Your car is under a Recall for failing switches which can lead to a no-start or intermittent stalling.
Any Honda dealer can be contacted and if you provide the VIN they will tell you quickly whether or not that Recall has ever been performed before. If not, you can have it done free of charge and seeing as how there are several other Recalls out on these cars it would be a good idea to have them done all at once. They’re free so take advantage of it.

Just a note. The main relay is in a string so to speak with the ignition switch and the fuel pump. A fuel pump is a comparatively high current draw item even when new. When aged and in combination with a partially clogged fuel filter the current draw goes even higher. All of that current (heat) over time flows through the ign. switch and main relay. Eventually contacts in the switch, main relay, etc burn due to the high current.

It works along the same lines as Ford running their cabin blower motors directly through the ignition switch on a lot of models. Over time the blower motor current takes out the ignition switch and the car refuses to run or dies on the road.

An update…
Eight days ago I performed solder surgery to the main relay board. It looked like there was a cracked solder joint on a resistor leg that may be tied to pin 3.
I have yet to drive across the GG bridge, but I have been driving the car locally. So far no problems. Actually, the engine seems to fire up faster - with less starter cranking than before the surgery.

1 Like