88 Toyota Camry Light Failure Sensor?

I have a 1988 Toyota Camry station wagon, auto, 4 cyl, w/ cruise control and the brake lights do not work. I’ve checked the fuses and even replaced the stop light switch with no luck. Power is getting to the switch but checking the actual light sockets I can tell that no power is getting to the brake light socket (so it is not in the ground circuit). My next thing is to check/replace the light failure sensor. Where is this thing located? Can I just bypass it or do I need to buy a new one if bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The light out module is located behind the left rear cargo area panel. It’s a yellow plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Unplug and remove the module. Then pry off it’s plastic cover. Examine the solid state board inside and see if there are any burnt components. If there are, the module requires replacement.

Now for the bad news. These modules from the dealer are about $300.00. So see if you can obtain one from a local auto recycler. When the module failed on my Camry, I searched the yards for a replacement. However, most of these modules were already pulled from the vehicles. That’s because of their expense for a new one. I eventually did locate a couple of these modules and always kept one as a spare. The good news in my case is that the yard didn’t charge me for these modules because they didn’t know what they were and weren’t listed on their price sheet. They did however let me know that they came with no warranty.

Tester

The good news in my case is that the yard didn’t charge me for these modules… They did however let me know that they came with no warranty.

The least they could have done is to give you a double you money back warranty.