60K Service for Honda Accords

Well, here’s the big question:

Where should I do my service?

Dealer or my next door mechanic.

Any ideas? Or Suggestions

The one and ONLY reason that I had the 60K maintenance done at the Hyundai dealer on my wifes 02 Sonata was to protect the 100k mile powertrain warranty.

If I had had an engine or transmission problem there would be no way for the dealer to weasel out of fixing it since the required maintenance was done by them. And for a fair price.

But, I told the dealer what I wanted done, based on the required service shown in the owners manual.

What was done did not include any such silly nonsense as injector or engine flushes.

Since your 3 year/36K warranty is long gone, take it to the local mechanic, providing he has a good reputation & you trust him.

The one you trust and the one that is less expensive. Call each and get a quote. Sometimes I have found the dealer less expensive for servicing.

read the owners manual, I will bet very little is required to be done, belts 100,000, plugs 100,000 maybe a few filters or oil change of not done sooner but most of the time it is an inspection or stuff that you can do yourself, IMO never get a 30 or 60,000 mile check up. See specifically what needs to be done in the manual and ask only to have that done, you will save a ton of money and also protect any warranty left. These are huge money makers for dealers

I avoid dealer service departments like the plague. Go to the local mechanic and save some money.

Either one can be fine; price it around first.
There are a number of things that should be done that the manual may not call for.
Spark plugs should never be left in an engine for 100k miles, fuel filters should be changed every 30k at least, trans fluid change every 30k, etc.
In some cases, depending on climatological conditions, even air filters should be changed every 15k miles.

What year is the Honda?

Do what is specified in your owner’s manual. If anything other than than what the manual specifies is pushed by the dealer, then ask pointedly why more than Honda specifies should be done and remain skeptical to a severe degree. Know that Honda is interested in your long term satisfaction with your vehicle while the dealer has keeping his people busy in mind. As with any brand, Honda will not dictate to the dealer how to stay alive in a competetive marketplace unless blatant abuses are brought to attention. Maintenance over and above what is required is not considered damaging. Independent mechanics have varying abilities as do dealer mechanics but dealer mechanics have the latest service bulletins and equipment readily available.

Actually, Honda corporate strongly tries to discourage any unneccesary service. While I was working at a Honda dealer a while back, a letter came from corporate stating that “fuel system cleanings”, transmission flushes and the like were not recommended and also that dealers who performed them did so at their own risk. So it all comes down to the old question, who do you trust? Whether it’s the dealer or the independent shop, stick with them.

Just my 2 cents

Strongly discourages? Does this sound like:

1. Be good to your customers or we might consider the possibility of beating you with a wet noodle.

or

1. Be good to your customers or we will pull your license to sell Hondas if you don’t stop your attempts to use ignorance of technical issues to steal from them.

Strongly discourages is not a clear intent but is gentle language prior to a mandate that might come later if things don’t improve. Until then, a dealer can do as he sees fit.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.