60,000 mile service maintenance

How important is it to get the 60000 mile service? My Honda is 4 years old runs great. What value does paying for it provide if I sale the car in another 2-3 year? Is the dealer the best place or should I just go to any mechanic recommended by car talk website.

Do you want it to keep running great? Then follow the recommended maintenance.

As for selling it - -if you tried to sell it to me 3 years from now and I saw you hadn’t been keeping up with the maintenance, I’d walk.

You should maintain the car according to the schedule at the least cost to you. One caveat is that your maintenance expenditures need to be recorded and associated with your VIN if you intend to sell the car in a few years. You need to have a record of maintaining the car correctly if you want to maximize the value of the car when you want to sell it.
But it’s very easy to lose the concept of value in terms of your current car versus what it might gain you on the market to help purchase the next new car. I do not agree that cars are improving in terms of reliance. If anything, even the best brands are failing more often, in more exotic ways.

Do you go to a doctor for periodic check-ups and “wellness” exams?

Same thing.

You don’t need a dealer for routine auto maintenance. Find a good independent mechanic to help you maintain your Honda. Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual. There shouldn’t be that much at 60K miles. Maybe spark plugs and some fluids.

When I shop for used cars I always want to see maintenance records. Lack of proper maintenance is a red flag.

How important is it to get the 60000 mile service? My Honda is 4 years old runs great. What value does paying for it provide if I sale the car in another 2-3 year?

If you have the service done, it may well keep your car on the road another 2-3 years and reduce the chance of it leaving you stranded some dark and stormy night. I may make it without the service, but with it greatly increases the odds in your favor.  Having records proving the service was done, should make your car more sellable. 

There is no reason the work should be done by the dealer. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

Doing regular service ups the chances of reliable service down the road. It also helps prevent break downs.

You can price the dealer and an independent shop. Something is wrong if a mechanic has never worked on a Honda Accord as they a in top 5 popular cars for years.

That all being said my sister in laws prescribe to the no maintenance except regular oil changes. One sister law has broken down quite a few times in this method with 4 kids in car. The other had trouble free operation only doing oil changes, tires, and brakes over 100k miles.