60k maintenance mechanic vs. dealer

i am nearing 60k maintenance on my 2002 hyundai xg350. i dont have any warranties etc. i was wondering if i should go to the dealer or a mechanic. any suggestions?

Either is acceptable. Price it around and make sure that it’s priced on what your owners manual recommends.

There are certain things that should be serviced more often than what the owners manual recommends: spark plugs, auto trans fluid, etc. Even the timing belt issue is something to keep in mind as the belt is now 7 years old. Rubber ages and dry rots and just off the top of my head here, this vehicle is an interference engine. This means if the belt breaks you are probably going to suffer some engine damage unless every planet and star is aligned just right.

Many car makers have extended intervals for certain things in the interest of making their vehicles appear to be more “maintenance free”, and while this is good for them and their PR department it’s not so good for the car owner over the long haul.
Hope that helps.

Now that the warranty has expired there is no need to ever return to the dealer, except for any recall work. Any independent mechanic can handle the 60K mantainance for your car.

To defend yourself against being fleeced (by either the dealership or anyone else), the idea is to know exactly what services you need. There will be a list in your owner’s manual. Many mechanics will recommend additional services such as a brake flush or power steering flush or induction cleaning. If his suggestions are not on your list, firmly decline.

Indeed, many recommended services in your manual are not really necessary either – wheel alignment, for example. They are suggested because a rare customer may acually have some problem. If you are in doubt, list the services here.

Both :slight_smile:

I would suggest getting pricing at both for the services listed in maintenance or owners manual and then go from there. I found in the past my Honda dealer was the same price for services and cheaper for the timing belt replacement.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

do read your manual. the recommended maintenance is just that… recommended.

the required maintenance it just that… required.

don’t be led or fed BS about: “well, we recommend” this and that, and this too, and that too. if it isn’t spelled out in your manual you DON’T need it.

of course if your car is having problems, or issues of noise, engine check lights and other obvious symptoms, then it may well need extra repairs and maintenance.

but you asked about the normal 60K service.

thank you guys, i really appreciate :slight_smile: