Scheduled maintanence

I have 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The manual has a long list of things to be done at 30,000 miles. The dealer says the cost will be about 650.00. Two questions: Is this necessary? and shouldn’t this all be covered under the original warranty?

In brief, yes it’s necessary and no it shouldn’t be covered under warranty.

These are normal wear and tear service checks and preventative maintenance procedures such as brake lining checks, brake linings aren’t covered under warranty but you do want to be sure you’re not about to go metal to metal on your brakes for several reasons. Dealer servicing also validates your warranty while it’s current.

$650 for a 30,000 mile service is relatively cheap, avoid Range Rovers ~ the standard service bills will give you a nose bleed.

Here is a good exercise in both reading comprehension and basic contract law. Please read the terms of your warranties (you have several).

You will note that the warranties cover defects in materials and workmanship for a specified number of odometer miles and a specific number of months/years, but do not cover maintenance costs. This is standard fare in all warranties, and you should not confuse a warranty with the free maintenance plans that some manufacturers (BMW being one example) include with the purchase of a car.

A warranty is a contract of sorts. In order for the manufacturer to comply with his terms of the contract, you have to uphold your terms, and in the case of every car, truck, furnace, lawn mower, etc., maintenance is the responsibility of the owner/purchaser.

So–are the maintenance procedures listed in the Owner’s Manual necessary? Only if you want to have your warranty remain in force–and that is a decision that only you can make.

Personally, I would want to avoid having to shoulder the cost of a new transmission, or a major engine repair, but if you don’t mind having to bear these costs yourself, then it is fine to ignore the maintenance procedures that are listed in the manual. Just bear in mind that the likelihood of major repairs is greatly increased by lack of maintenance–and that is why those maintenance procedures are required by the manufacturer in order for the warranty to remain in force.

Incidentally, you can have the maintenance procedures done by an independent mechanic. As long as you retain documentation of this maintenance, then you can preserve your warranty coverage. An independent mechanic will likely charge a lot less than the dealership.

you must also look at the estimate. there are several key words to take note of.

required.

recommended.

all required maintenance is just that. required, must do.

recommended is usually at the dealers profit, but NOT to your distinct advantage.

as VDC says, you DON’T have to have this stuff done at a dealer. they do charge more, and are no more expert than a good local mechanic. (i am NOT talking about a discount chain place though, but a good local mechanic)

I think BMW is the ONLY one that does it. Unless you can negotiate it in a lease(for another make), but that’s another can of worms to open.

First understand what is recommended in the manual is necessary to maintain your warranty. However the $650 may include “extras” that sound reasonable added by dealer but in the end to pad the bill and don’t help nor hurt anything.

Any local independent mechanic can perform the 30k service. I would highly suggest getting two other quotes from a trusty mechanic(ask friends, coworkers, family etc).

You want to follow what the manual says, not the dealer or mechanic.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.