2021 Honda Passport - 30K service - Dealer or independent shop?

Is it worth it to do the 30000 mile service at a Honda dealership?

How much do they charge, and what do they do?

If you are asking if all the recommended maintenance should be done on time, yes.

1 Like

I prefer to have service done at a dealership until the drive train warranty expires.

6 Likes

I use the dealer. I also check what is recommended in the owner’s manual to make sure the dealer is not adding unnecessary stuff.

2 Likes

At 30000 miles there cant be much that has to be done other than the usual oil change , change engine air filter (do it yourself and keep the receipts and cabin filter (do it yourself) . The dealer will charge you double what you can do yourself . Go on rock auto and get the engine air filter and cabin filters and change them . Usually these are not hard though I dont know on that particular Honda engine .the cabin filters are usually behind the glove box , info on how to change is usually in the owners manual , if not I’m sure it is somewhere on Utube on how to do it . The oil change , let them do it until engine warranty is done .

1 Like

30,000-Mile Services

When your Passport’s odometer reaches the 30,000-mile point, it’s time for a more extensive service, consisting of another oil change and tire rotation, plus an inspection on the brakes, tires, belts, hoses, and fluid reservoirs. At this point, your Passport may need brake pad replacement as well as changing of the brake fluid, transmission fluid, and engine coolant. Other recommended services at this interval include replacing the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. This very important service should be repeated every 30,000 miles (60,000 miles, 90,000 miles, 120,000 miles, etc.).

Tester

2 Likes

Where did you get that set of recommendations? A Honda dealer’s web site? Hondas track usage and display the type of service needed (A or B with numbers). There’s no ‘30,000 mile service’. The part after ‘as well as’ really sounds like dealer add-ons to the manual’s recommendations. Coolant? Sparkplugs? I’d be amazed if they were needed.

A co-worker who just bought a new Accord came in with the dealer’s service recommendation booklet. It bore little similarity to the actual owner’s manual’s recommendations.

Here’s what’s in the manual:

4 Likes

My parents have used the same shop for 30yrs for the fleet including a pair of Honda CRV’s and when we first lpulled them out of the phone book they gave us a quote on the 30k service that was the same as the lowest dealer quote while saving us a 60mi round trip. Eventually became the 2nd opinion shop when the dealer tried to sell mom various things that she didn’t need or could have done for a lower price there.

Dad still takes his 2019 CRV for dealer oil changes just as he did with his 2007 for the almost 13yrs he had it, still get price quotes from both places for major services but the independent has treated us so much better and is only a few minutes from where they live, compared to going across town.

We have a 2019 Odyssey and use the service computer. The codes are shown in @texases post above. We use an independent repair shop that we are satisfied with. Either the dealer or a shop you trust can do the job. If you don’t know a trustworthy indy shop the dealer is a good choice.

1 Like

Yes, get the code, and get that done. Some stuff you can do yourself, no problem.
The cabin air filter you can do yourself, no tools required. The intake filter, easy peasy, 10 mm socket wrench, ratchet, extension, likely all you need, at least that what it was on a 2020 civic. Unless you want to go the extra mile and torque these bolts back down to spec lol, will also need torque wrench.

I use the dealer just to avoid any warranty related issues.

3 Likes

Where is your imagination getting Code ? The person just asked about the 30000 mile service .

1 Like

I’d use an independent. There are laws to prevent any warranty related issues because you had the vehicle serviced someplace else.

1 Like

Guess you are not familiar with Honda’s
 Go back and read Texases post where he posted a picture of the CODE Maintenance Main Items AB 1-7

The dash displays the code(s) when it is time for that maintenance to be done

3 Likes

This is true, but if you do your service at the dealer you might get some “goodwill” assistance on an out-of-warranty item later, so that’s also a consideration. (That happened to me once with a significant savings.)

1 Like

I always use the Acura dealer for trans and differential service but have never done the 30k service. I either check the stuff and do it myself or they always look things over and suggest anything needing to be done. I would rather have the dealer do the 50 or 100 point inspection and take care of anything right then and there.

Possibly. But it’s extremely rare. And in the past 40+ years we’ve only had ONE warranty claim of any kind.