4x4 repair

my truck is stuck in four low. how do i get her back to 2 wheel drive before i get to a garage to get the encoder fixed? i tried unhooking the battery terminals and hooking them back up and I also tried holding in on the 2 wheel drive button on the dash and then starting her.

Try putting it in neural and then go to 4hi to 2. Backing up my also help.

Get on a loose surface and follow oldbodyman’s instructions. Grass or loose gravel would be good. It may require repeated efforts.

How long was the battery disconnected to reset the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)? Have you tried disconnecting the wiring harness at the TCCM?

When I have trouble shifting out of 4Lo on my 2000 Blazer, it helps to be moving a few miles an hour in Neutral. Otherwise try the method suggested in third paragraph below.

From the 2000 Blazer Owner’s Manual

Shifting from 4LO to 4HI or 2HI

To shift from 4LO to 4HI or 2HI, your vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) with the transmission in NEUTRAL (N) or the clutch pedal engaged. The preferred method for shifting out of 4LO is to have your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h). Press and release the 4HI switch. You must wait for the 4HI indicator light to stop flashing and remain illuminated before shifting your transmission into gear or releasing the clutch pedal.

If the 4HI switch is pressed when your vehicle is in gear and/or moving, the 4HI indicator light will flash for 30 seconds but not complete the shift unless the vehicle
is moving slower than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N) or the clutch pedal engaged.

On automatic transmission equipped vehicles, if your transfer case does not shift into 4HI, your transmission indicator switch may require adjustment. With your transmission in NEUTRAL (N), press and release the 4HI switch. While the 4HI indicator light is flashing, shift your transmission into PARK §. Wait until the 4HI indicator light remains illuminated before shifting your transmission into gear. This will get you into 4HI, but you should take your vehicle in for service to restore normal operation.

Good luck,

Ed B.