4.10 gears overall installation cost?

i don’t know some people on youtube and online say that it rlly brings the car to life and gives it more of a kick, i get its not a massive difference but it seems like a fairly sensible and a not too risky mod to do. So seems fine by me. time wise, its a mod that wouldn’t take much time, 5hour at mechanics and then a tune then done. Money wise i get it its a little pricey but its do able.

yeh most people that i have seen that have done this mod online/youtube have been very satisfied by it so apart from the 1k price tag i see mostly positives.

Do you think the ones who spent the money for this and were disappointed are going to make a You Tube video ? Not likely.

3 Likes

how would that work? how would swapping for a lower gear ratio improve acceleration and torque, i thought it was the opposite? unless that doesnt apply for larger vehicles?

You read my post backwards or maybe I wrote it backwards… I had 3.08s, I installed 4.10s for better acceleration. Maybe I’ll reword that.

1 Like

That’s a very valid point. it just seems hard to believe that some would be disappointed from this mod. I’ve seen this mod labelled ‘best mod/ best bang for buck’ for this specific car (mustang v6) on many platforms, forums and on youtube. I personally don’t think i would be disappointed: its a fairly simple mod that doesn’t require too much time which won’t put too much stress on my engine. Its literally one of the only performance mod that i could do which might make a difference and not blow my engine.

Ahh okay, yes that makes more sense. So yeh that sounds promising

It is your money and your car so just do it . Why even care if any of us strangers on the web are for or against this ?

3 Likes

Seems like a reasonable inquiry, those who say that changing the gear ratio won’t make much difference could share their experiences.

1 Like

just read your post on your trip to the dyno after installing your headers, very impressive!
yeh i was thinking of getting headers too for a while, thought they’d be an interesting mod.

That’s true. Would you have a shop do it? Swapping out the ring and pinion takes some specific tools.

I went the other way, swapped in a taller one on my Duster when I broke the old one, it didn’t hurt the acceleration much, but this might not apply to your case. It was an easy swap of the entire axle. Not an option here.

What transmission do you have?

1 Like

its just nice to get different insights and opinions from people that have much more experience and knowledge than me. i learn from the things you all say, thats why its nice having people that agree and some that disagree so i can build an opinion for myself and get a better view and understanding of the topic and cars in general.

yes i would take it to a shop, from what i’ve read i don’t have what it takes to do this mod myself and for 500 bucks its not worth the risk of me destroying my car. Did you swap the axle yourself? was that not too hard?

5 speed automatic

Yes, I went to a junk yard and got one, then swapped it out in my dorm parking lot with a pair of jack stands. I had a good set of tools from my time at a garage.

2 Likes

damn fair enough, that’s an achievement.

My local pick-a-part shows 6 2005-2010 Mustangs with complete rear axle assemblies, at least one is a GT. $175 for the rear axle assembly, I would search for the lowest gearing (highest ratio number) available.

I had a 318 Duster with the standard 2.71 rear axle, I replaced the axle assembly with one having 3.21 ratio. 15.8 seconds in the quarter mile with a four barrel and headers, it makes a difference. A stock duster is about 17.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

1 Like

How would i know the cars gearing ratio tho? i have the app too, it doesn’t usually go into that much detail. I highly doubt it would say on there the gearing. But that is good advice, thank you

There should be an ID tag on the differential cover.

Each rear axle listed on Ebay has a 3.31 axle ratio, might be difficult to find what you are looking for.

1 Like

Ford Mustang Rear Gear Ratios | CJ Pony Parts

1 Like