4.10 gears overall installation cost?

Hey so i own a 2006 ford mustang v6, i was thinking of buying some 4.10 gears and installing them for better acceleration. I’m trying to figure out how much it would cost overall.
-4.10 gear kit from ford racing = approximately $300
-Mechanic installation = $550 (i called a couple places best i got was 550)

• Tune to calibrate speedometer = this is the one i’m not sure about, i’m not sure how much it would cost to tune it afterwards, i saw ford racing sold some devices that i think connect to the ECU and reprogram it which cost $400, but i saw a lot of different prices online.
    so yeh so far 300+550 = 850
    850 + 400? = 1250
    does this sound about right? Am i forgetting anything? how much would it cost to calibrate the ecu?

thank you

That much money on a 16 year old vehicle for what might be so little extra accelaration that you will only use once in a while does not make much sense . You have several threads about this Mustang just start saving money and up grade to later model Mustang GT .

2 Likes

Its my daily driver and i do like to punch it relatively frequently as i drive to work everyday with my friend who has a bimmer and we like to play a little, and even just for a little more entertainment on the daily.
Besides 1200 would be do-able, not cheap, but do-able and as much as i would love a Mustang GT its hard finding any for any less than 7k

If you are a young driver, changing the gears would likely cost less than the increase in car insurance for a Mustang GT.

1 Like

Probably not really worth it. I had 4.10’s put in my old 2003 Mustang GT, it was about $650 for parts and labor, I already had a tuner that allowed you to adjust the speedometer for rear end ratio/tire size changes. After I had a Kenne Bell installed (a couple years later), I went to 3.73’s. (in hindsight 3.55’s would’ve been better).

As far as getting the speedometer calibrated, there’s always the hand-held tuner route, but a local speed shop could probably do it for you for an hour of labor. But over a grand for a gear swap, that’s not going to make a huge difference on a 4.0L that doesn’t make much power above 5000 RPM anyway isn’t what I would choose to spend my modification money on.

2 Likes

what would you choose to spend your mod money on

There are S197 Mustangs from the Factory with 3.73 gears and posi. Might be cheaper to just switch complete rearends if you can find one off a wrecked V8 car. You would get a stronger rear axle, too. Not sure if the pinion flange is exactly the same or not.

3 Likes

Is that 4,10 gear kit for the specific differential installed on your Mustang? Usually V6 cars have lighter duty rear ends than the ones installed on the V8 models. A\lso, your gas mileage will suffer and the car will be miserable to drive on a trip.

2 Likes

With modern over-drive there won’t be much difference in fuel economy or engine noise.

1 Like

honestly didn’t even know that was possible, il research it.
Only thing is, i believe my mustang has 3.55’s so i don’t know if changing to 3.73’s would make enough of a difference to make it worth it. But that definitely is an interesting take on this!
thank you

it should fit the differential installed on my Mustang, it says the product fits my car so i guess thats fine.
obviously pretty much every performance mod decreases gas mileage so that was expected and i’m fine with that, and as for long trips, i don’t see why it would be so bad. maybe more noise from higher revs but i don’t mind

Your V6 Mustang has a smaller axle than the V8s… a 7.5 inch ring gear, I think. The V8s 2005 to 2014 have 8.8 rearends.

1 Like

Currently, I’m happy with just bolt-ons and a tune. I was thinking about supercharging this one as well, but before I commit the many thousands of dollars that would require, I want to see what the upcoming S650 has to offer.

1 Like

What are they doing now? Adopting Benz nomenclature for the models?

1 Like

These days with everything having overdrive, and computer controls, Changing the rear end gears out doesn’t make a huge difference overall. In the OP’s case, going from a 3.31 to 4.10 would likely result in a slight improvement in fuel economy in local driving, and a slight decrease in purely highway driving. Overall fuel economy will be about the same, maybe a very slight ( ~0.5-0.75) MPG decrease if they do more highway driving than around town stuff. But it’s not nearly as big a difference as it was back in the 60’s-70’s.

1 Like

No, it’s just the platform names for various generations of Mustang

79-93 = Fox
94-98 = SN 95 ( glorified Fox)
99-04 = New Edge ( still a glorified Fox)
05-14= S197
15-23 = S550
2024+ = S650 ( More of an evolution of the S550, supposedly).

2 Likes

I bet I would notice very little difference with the ratio change. Higher rpm’s on the freeway, very slightly better acceleration. Not worth all the time and money to me.

2 Likes

+1
But, let’s not forget about people’s misperceptions of a vehicle’s power. If someone installs a louder muffler, in many cases he/she convinces themselves that the engine is more powerful… even if it is not.

Vroom, Vroom!

2 Likes

I have changed gear ratios in at least 4 different vehicles and was not disappointed in the results. The smallest change was going from 3.21 to 3.55 in a truck, great improvement when entering the highway.

2 Likes

Edit: I swapped in 4.10s for the factory 3.08s in a 165 hp 1/2 ton Suburban. Made a huge improvement in acceleration and towing capability.

1 Like